Early winter mushroom + RP

And a cleanup:

It’s been cool enough that the soil is still damp from the early heavy rains a month ago, with dew many mornings, and there have been a lot of small mushrooms sprouting. I hadn’t made time to photograph any but today I found this cute little one and it insisted on having its portrait made.

I have no idea what kind it is – maybe Kris or someone knows? It is about 1.5" in diameter.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Focus stack of 17, Zerene. Canon R5, 100mm macro, f/9, ISO 400, 1/80 sec. Linear profile with modest adjustments in LR. Into PS for a darker vignette.

2 Likes

Diane, I’d be the last to know what flavor of shroom this might be. But I can surely appreciate what a fine image this is. This closeup provides stunning detail of not only the shroom but also the surrounding underlying leaf backdrop. I find it to be an excellent image & I truly can’t find anything to offer up as any changes… :+1: :+1:

This is wonderful! The placement of the leaves and the little bit of dew - fabulous. I think the colors are so muted, yet varied. Often these guys get lost in the undergrowth so I’m glad you picked it out for this portrait. It might be a type of mycena or similar, but I believe the technical term is LBM.

Little brown mushroom. :joy:

Thanks guys! @Kris_Smith – that’s what I thought it was! We have several varieties right now.

Fantastic detail, Diane. I admire your abilities in focus stacking. Wonderful capture and very nicely seen.

Excellent work on the stack, Diane. A great image.

Diane, this is a treat to the eyes, with the different shades of brown. I love the little curl up of the mushroom so we get to enjoy some of the underside too. I feel like I am being really fussy here, but I wish that little piece of debris on the left edge wasn’t there. As soon as I spotted that, it seems that is where my eye wants to go. But yet, as perfect in every way that this is image is, I really feel like I am nit picking, and I am not. I almost didn’t say anything, but I know if there is a way to improve this image, you would want to do so. It truly is an excellent image as presented. I haven’t been able to get out to shoot in awhile, so I have tried to get some time to go back into my shots from the summer to see if I have some macro shots. Maybe soon.

Thanks everyone! @Shirley_Freeman – I think you’re right. I used a small brush to clean up quite a bit of debris then cleaned up more in PS, then felt maybe I was overdoing it so left that bit, but it’s easy to clean up. I think I’d leave the lighter area as some other places on the edges have it and it’s part of the mushroom. The bit of leaf stem poking out from the right edge of the mushroom bothers me as does some of the debris / details on the leaves. I’ll post a cleanup – thanks for the nudge!

Best wishes for some shooting and processing time!

1 Like

Diane, I like the repost. I really think that piece was a problem just because it was running out of the image, and it just seemed to catch my eye. I like that you left other pieces of debris because, after all, it is out in nature and we are used to seeing debris. One fine image!

I like the repost, too. While it might not be warts and all, this image doesn’t need those to work. The lines and textures, hues and shapes are enough and deserve more of our attention.

Diane: I’m late to this party but wanted to let you know I think it’s terrific. A marvelous find and a superb capture and presentation. Most excellent. >=))>

Thanks everyone, and thanks @Shirley_Freeman for the EP! I’ll tell this LBM that it was well appreciated!

2 Likes

Diane …the larger version says it all. Beautiful work, kind of two tone image.

Very well done

Balan Vinod

Great photo Diane, I love the background and the shape of the main subject. The stacking paid off very well here.