Apostle Islands

A section of a small stream emptying into Lake Superior. I wanted to document the curve of the sand and also the colorful sky.

Specific Feedback Requested

Do the tree reflections work? I can’t decide if they add some interest and anchor the photo or if the dark tones are too much.

Technical Details

Shot on Sony a7 at 18mm. 1/100 f5.0 ISO 500 Processed in lightroom.

1 Like

Hey! It’s not easy to take a photo that makes people stop and look twice at what it actually is. But you’ve done that with this photo! I really enjoyed looking at it and I’ll be following up to see what David Thompson says in his critique!

1 Like

Thanks David! Have a great day.

Cameron

I think the tree reflections add interest to this small scene and could work. The issue that I’m having is I feel the composition is cramped, and I am having a hard time trying to connect the elements together in the composition. Feels too tight, especially with the leading line. I wish there was more room for that curvy section of the rock to breath more. Like it curves and just STOPS! I would just ask yourself, what do you want this scene to be about…is it about the reflections, is it about the strong reds, or is it about the curvy lines in the rocks? Whether it’s in the field, or in post, figuring out what you are trying to convey in this small scene should be the emphasis of this image. You have great elements here…complex in some ways, but definitely has potential to be something different, if you can put the puzzle together. I think if you play with the color some that might help. Maybe find a way to have some type of contrast/separation from the rock and reflections .

DT

1 Like

Thanks David. You could do a guest session on giving criticism. Sometimes I get caught up in one part of a scene. I love the feel of that curve and wanted the pic to be about that. I took some other shots that were soft and I liked this one because it wasn’t. I don’t expect any more commentary, I really appreciate you devoting so much time to this version, but I’ll post a wider shot, maybe it works better?

1 Like

OK now we’re talking Cameron. The feel of this looks much better. The composition flows much better! Same as the last edit…desaturate those reds, cool those shadows off so you can have some more color separation.

1 Like

Thanks David. Appreciate all of your advice. Have a great weekend.