Apparition

Autumn 2020 photo project - taken 10/18/20 in Lincoln, Massachusetts
October 18 was a very productive day this fall, I think my prior 4 posts were all taken that same morning.

I normally don’t work much with high key images, especially during fall foliage season. But on this morning there was a very thick ground fog that blanketed the landscape. As the fog started to thin out, the top of this large tree started to emerge, and reveal itself. To me this tree is an apparition of autumn. This image was taken earlier the same morning and location as my prior post "Emergence ", before the sun started to cut through the fog.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70 -200mm f4 lens, at 85 mm , ISO 100, 1/5 sec at f11

1 Like

ED, this is just it. There is just enough fog to let the right amount of color through . High key can be different some times and beautiful. No nits.

Beautiful, Ed. I agree with @Ben_van_der_Sande about this hint of color. So subtle and gives the image a soft pensive feel. Very nicely seen.

Agree with the others. I really like that the color saturation increases going upwards, ending with the tree top having just the right amount of color. The symmetry adds to the image quality.

Ed, this is a wonderful photo. I love how the tree appears to be emerging from the fog, displaying its autumn colors at the top of the frame. Beautifully taken.

@Ben_van_der_Sande @linda_mellor @Ola_Jovall @Vincent_Petro

Thanks to you all for your comments, I appreciate you taking the time to discuss the image. I tend to like symmetry in images. This can sometimes be static, but here I think the contrast in softness/clarity from top to bottom makes the static comp a bit more dynamic.

Beautiful image and nice dreamy mood. I would desaturate the foreground a bit to further emphasize the tree color. I played with it in PS and liked the result. Another excellent image from this series.

I like the minimalist approach here Ed. I agree with @Harley_Goldman about reducing saturation in the foreground. I’d be inclined to reduce the contrast slightly on the bottom pat of the image.