Branching Out

Autumn 2020 photo project - 10/18/20 taken in Lincoln, Massachusetts

This is another image from 10/18/20, by far my most productive day this autumn. This is a more closeup view from the same tree as my prior post, “Apparition”. This was taken as the thick ground fog was starting to thin out a bit, and you can see some blue in the sky. I enjoy using symmetry in my images, and I was attracted to the radiating branches in this tree for that reason.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 106mm, ISO 100, 1/5 sec at f11

Rework with more contrast and definition in the branches

1 Like

Ed - I think in the image ‘Apparition’ the fog/haze really added to the image. I gave that ethereal feel to it and also created some depth. While I dont mind the composition in this shot, I dont think the fog adds to it. With the subject such a big part of the frame the low contrast make it look washed out a bit.

I think that accentuating the oranges and also the blacks a bit could bring the image to life. Maybe add a little negative clarity to soften the increase in contrast a bit.

Hope that helps!
Eugene

Ed, this one is really not working that well for me. It is hard to figure out why. It might be that, without the fog, the tree trunk/branches would provide more structure and hold the comp together nicely. But the fog obscures that structure. Not sure, but still contemplating it. My take, anyway. A most enjoyable overall series and quite the productive day!

@Eugene_Theron @Harley_Goldman thanks for the input guys, a independent sense of perspective is always important. I have posted a rework bask up top near the original, adding more contrast and definition, as suggested.