Approaching storm in Praia da Empa (Empa Beach)

Hi everybody

My first post here

This is a photo of a local beach taking last week in the late afternoon, with a Nikon D7100; Tokina 11-16 and a polarizer and a reverse ND grad (had to Lower the effect in Photoshop)

would love to ear your comments

1 Like

@joaoquintela welcome to NPN, you have a great first post here, what a wonderful seascape location. The combination of the algae and the rocks makes for a very interesting foreground. Overall, I think your processing is excellent, it has nice vibrant color without being over the top. And the control of dynamic range is well handled, the exposure and contrast look great.

From a composition standpoint, this is one of those images that raises the question, is the horizon too centered? There usually seems to be two schools of thought in this regard. One says 50/50 horizons create static compositions, so place the horizon off-center (rule of thirds). The other thing you hear is that if both the sky and landscape are very interesting, then a 50/50 horizon can work.

I think this image falls somewhere in between those two schools of thought. I think the composition could be improved with some small changes. The bright wedge of white water in the lower left corner (LLC) is a distraction, I would crop that away. If you maintained the aspect ratio, you could take a little off the top too. This would place the horizon more off center, and in my opinion would not lose much of the drama in the sky. I think this would also make the light rays more prominent by making them larger in the composition.

If you don’t mind, here is a rework where I illustrate the crop that I am suggesting.

1 Like

Thank you very much Ed. Really appreciate your imput. I agree with you concerning the LLC white water, but woudn’t want to crop the rock. In this case I dont mind the central horizon.
Thanks again.

Welcome to NPN and a real nice first post. Nice and rich detail on the foreground, leading to a great sky. No suggestions here, I like it as posted. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights into the work of others.

Welcome. This is indeed a fine first image. In fact, this is a fine image regardless of when you posted. It’s a d*mn good image. I would tighten it a bit though. Reduce the amount of sky and compensate by small crops off left and bottom:

2 Likes

Wonderful image. I agree with @Ed_McGuirk’s crop. Welcome to NPN. I look forward to seeing more of your images. The soft water and light punch bottom half against the angrier sky makes the image for me.

Thank you all for your suggestions.