Arboreal Abstract I

I made this picture with the intention of converting to black and white. But when I downloaded the image I was thrilled at the colour that the camera had captured. I mean, I couldn’t make up this kind of colour if I tried. It isn’t what I saw, but it was what the camera saw. I have boosted the colour only slightly (thanks to Tony Kuyper’s “Make It Glow” action in the TK7 panel) but other than a little dodging and burning, I’ve done surprisingly little. The big question is the extent to which it actually works as an abstract. I did a series of abstracts last year on standing waves in moving water and I’d like to do a similar abstract series focusing on trees. I’d be interested to hear your feedback on this one.

1 Like

Kerry,

I really enjoy this type of abstract you’ve created. The texture and pattern of the bark—particularly in the upper and right portion of the frame is really interesting. The processing looks good to me. The only thing I would consider would be the branch in the lower left. It seems to draw my attention and lead my eye out of the frame. Thanks for sharing.

Kerry: For an unrepentant color junkie like me this works really well. I see Adam’s concern with the branch but OTOH it adds to the color spectrum and is a contrasting texture to the rest of the image. Overall there is so much to explore and enjoy. Well seen, captured and presented. >=))>

@Adam_Bolyard Thanks for your feedback, Adam. I did indeed consider the branch and even shot a few frames without it. But, in the end, I felt it added something both in terms of the colour and interest. It does draw the eye but I don’t think it draws it out of the picture. Anyway, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it :grin:
@Bill_Fach From one colour junky to another - much appreciated.

Wow, interesting colors. I think that this would work well rotated CCW, so that fat branch is on the top.

@Kerry_Gordon, the branch definitely has some interesting color to it as @Bill_Fach said. On a second look, I see that now. Thanks again for sharing. I really enjoy these abstract type images. Cheers

What an interesting image, it is a symphony of color and texture. This definitely works as an abstract for me. The color palette is really nice, with some vibrant earth tones. The yellows and browns create a warm and inviting feeling. But I especially like how the accents of green are interwoven with the other colors. I also like how the colors are “separated” by the shapes and textures of the bark as well. The combination of varied shapes, textures and colors really gets my eye moving across the image.

The only aspect of this image that gives me pause is the branch in the LLC. It does add some interesting color. But the way I perceive this image, the branch leads my eye out of the frame. Normally I prefer to look at images from left to right, so one might think i would perceive the branch as leading into the center, but for some reason I instead see it as leading outside the frame. It is also an element that serves to break up the pattern, which normally is a plus in some abstracts. I suspect this branch is something that people will look at differently.

@Bonnie_Lampley, @Adam_Bolyard, @Ed_McGuirk - thank you for your feedback, it really is much appreciated. Ah, the wayward branch. Bonnie suggested rotating the image so the branch is on the top rather than coming in from the side. I’ve posted that here but wonder if it actually helps. Of course, my eye is attuned to seeing this vertically, so it might just be that. If I were to rotate, I think I would need to rework the post processing a bit but before I spend that time, do you all think rotating is a difference that makes a difference?

Wow, great suggestion @Bonnie_Lampley to rotate this. I actually liked Kerry’s original presentation, but the 90 degree CW rotation actually makes the image feel more dynamic to me. And the troublesome branch? In the original my eye saw it exiting the frame, but rotated 90 degrees, my eye now sees it coming from above and pointing to the center. Interesting transformation with this rework…

1 Like

Your repost is definitely the clear winner for me, Kerry. I do like @Bonnie_Lampley’s suggestion with the rotation. The branch did bother me in the original as it seemed to draw my eye out of the frame whereas the second version it draws me into this lovely abstract. I do love the array of colors and textures you captured as they are a visual treat. I am really enjoying this.

Hi Kerry,

I’m glad that you chose to go with the colored version. Color is spectacular and this is one image that can go vertical or horizontal. I do like the vertical presentation. Well done…Jim

I too initially found the branch to be a distraction but for me, the rotation makes this a totally different image, more about angle than texture and color.

I would be inclined to see this as two different images, one cropped slightly as show to emphasize the texture, and another rotated and providing a more dynamic bit different impression.

Here is how I would minimize the branch effect in the original approach (maybe even a tish less if the branch collar).

Of course, it’s your image and these changes might detract from you vision of the photograph, but I think the key is to isolate what you want us to see, even if you do so by making this 2-3 different images.

ML

I like the graphic quality and colors of the image but the composition feels awkward. Even without the protruding branch. I’m not exactly sure why.

Hey @Marylynne_Diggs, I really appreciate your taking the time to give this a rework. I do see your point and it does make for an interesting picture but not the picture I wanted to make. I generally feel that if I have to do a significant pixel crop (beyond aspect ratio), that I probably didn’t quite hit the mark. I think this image is in that category. There is a lot that I like about it and it has opened up some new directions for me but, as @Igor_Doncov pointed out, it doesn’t quite work compositionally. As I say, I’m very pleased that I took this picture because, for me, it signifies that I’m developing a more nuanced eye and that’s gotta be a good thing.

Kerry, I like the color combination a lot. The green and the reddish bark definitely go together really well. Thanks for the tip about “Make it Glow”, I should give that a try some time. I like both presentation (original and rotated 90 deg), but seems to favor the horizontal a bit more but I am not so clear as to why that’s the case.

Adding to my previous comment, I like that branch. It adds something essential to the image. …
JIM