Arboreal Abstract III

Not really that much to say about this picture. An abstraction focusing on light, tone and texture. My two questions are: Does it hold your eye? and Does it evoke any particular feeling response? Of course any additional feedback, thoughts, feelings or suggestions is always appreciated.

Much of Weston’s tree images (in fact all subjects until the end) were suggestive of the human body. This one is as well. I consider that a positive because the image works on two levels. I like the darkness in the bottom left corner (and the right corner as well). I would say this is a successful image because there is an artistic element to it.

I like this in black and white. The lack of colour for me brings the viewer into the scene to examine whether they’re looking at bark versus rock etc which I think is easily given away with colour.

Personally I would lighten the LRC a touch so that the LLC is darkest area of the frame and therefore emphasizing the tonal transition from the LLC to the centre.

The tones and textures are really lovely, but overall this isn’t resonating with me. I agree with Igor that it feels vaguely human. It feels unbalanced, I think because of the distribution of the light. Perhaps that was your intent, to make us uneasy?

@Bonnie_Lampley. Bonnie I’m curious to better understand what you mean when you use the word “uneasy”. If the unease you feel is due to the photograph being poorly conceived or executed, ill considered or without intention then, no, of course that is not my intent (although, it could most certainly be true). But if by uneasy, you mean unexpected, “off beat” or unconventional, then, yes, most definitely that would be my intent. I am very early on in my photography “career” but I’ve lived a lot of life so, I am not interested in making pleasing pictures. Please don’t misunderstand, there is definitely room for pleasing pictures but it is not what I’m ultimately looking or needing to do. I think of Diane Arbus. So many of her photographs make me uneasy. I can’t say that I “like” them, but they are compelling. Similarly with one of my photographic heroes, Keith Carter. I don’t find his photographs pleasant at all. On the contrary, many are repellent and it is only after several viewings that I am able to find some comfort in my discomfort. But I do keep coming back to look again. Naturally, I’m not presuming to compare myself to either of those masters, but I am looking for something along those lines. I can only express it, at this early stage as trying to see behind the reality that I see with my eyes, if that makes any sense. This photograph is a sketch, to be sure. It would please me to know that those that read this photograph felt some sense of unease. But not the kind of unease that comes from lack of intention or skill. But, to be frank, at this point I’d rather err on the the side of missing the mark (which feels like an all too regular occurrence) than play it safe and stay in my comfort zone. I probably think too much but, to be fair to myself, I am, at this point and for what it’s worth, making a concerted effort to pay more attention to my gut than my head.

1 Like

@Kerry_Gordon, this doesn’t give me an uneasy feeling because it is poorly conceived or executed. I think it is the vague resemblance to a human form, combined with the unbalanced composition. In this case, unbalanced isn’t intended to be a pejorative because you intended it.

Like @Igor_Doncov, I like that this image is suggestive of the human form. For me, that is a plus, and adds a layer of creativity to the image. I also like that you presented this with a matte black mat (frame), this may be the first time I’ve seen one used at NPN. But it works very well for this image. I actually downloaded it and switched the mat to white, and the image has less impact with a white mat.

I would call the composition asymmetric, rather than unbalanced (to me, unbalanced has a negative connotation). I think asymmetric works, it makes me stop and think harder about the image. I think the weakest part of the composition is the LLC, the detail there is less interesting than in the other three quadrants of the image. I would prefer to see the LLC shadows burned down significantly, which would accentuate the forms in the rest of the image, and direct the viewers eye to the rest of the image.

While I think this image works well as presented, I am also intrigued by the diagonal trunk in the ULC. I would suggest a second, alternate crop that places more emphasis on that element. Here is a rework of this second image (with burning of the LLC).

@Ed_McGuirk. Once again, Ed, your input is much appreciated. So, in the words of the late Rabbi Cohen - “You want it darker?” You are right on, I think. I played it too safe. I have posted an alternate (not too different than yours) and I want it darker too. As to your second version with the crop. While it is interesting, it isn’t what I want the image to focus on, namely the almost pregnant “belly” intimated in the photograph. Cropping the image from the right kind of kills that for me so I’m going to stay with the original crop.

I’m not sure I agree about the rework. The new contrast removes some of the tonal richness. A comparison in prints would be interesting to see.