Artist’s Fall Palate

I loved the mosaic of colors across the open field at the aspen forest and it’s range of phases of color coming across the top of the frame. It certainly feels like morning light is special in its own way waking up the landscape slowly and then all at once!

Specific Feedback Requested

How does the composition work overall? Is there anything that feels cut off awkwardly or out of balance? I feel comfortable with the color but I am also cautious about the temp and saturation and how it looks to other’s eyes.

Technical Details

Hi Kyle,
This is an eye-catching image for sure. The colors are bold and enticing, but what makes the image compelling for me is the unexpected contrast between foreground trees (muted and foggy) and the background trees (more brilliant). That runs counter to how distance and light usually work, and in this case, I like it.

If I were to suggest any additional processing, it would just be adjust the crop a tish. I would be inclined to crop a thin strip off the top so that the top layer of gold has not other colors dipping into it, and then maybe a little off the bottom. It’s a very vertical image, which can be challenging, but a slight reduction in the top and bottom would really keep the viewer inside the frame.

Let me know if you want an example of that.
Nice work.
ML

1 Like

Kyle,

Beautiful autumn aspen landscape. Had to do a quick mental check to make sure it wasn’t a reflection! ha ha! jk.

The colors and glow in the aspens are wonderful. I hadn’t noticed at first, but after reading Marylynne’s comments, I agree about the green strip of color on the top edge. I think it’s a case of either wanting more (adding nother layer) OR cropping to have none of that color up top. But for sure, I like the layers of color in the tree tops.

I think the addition of the foreground vegetation gives the scene some depth and makes for a strong composition. Not sure if the bottom is adding to the scene though. Then I don’t see a clean crop either and cropping the bottom results in a less than original composition. So I think this works well as presented (except top strip). Oh, and there’s a couple of small, dark spots in the bottom that could easily be cloned out.

Overall color and WB works for me. I base that off the aspen trunks themselves which are ever so slightly on the cool side - which is consisten with the morning light you are describing (where the color balance is going be cooler in the shadows of the canopy - and the top of the canopy warmer as it’s in the direct path of sunlight.)

Well seen and photographed.

1 Like

Nice scene here Kyle. I think the colors are pushed a tad far for my tastes, especially the yellows, greens, and purples. Maybe tone it down a tiny bit. Also the sticks lower right on the edge are a distraction for me, personally.

1 Like

A nice viewpoint into the FG and trees. I think it’s better without the bit of green at the top, although more might have been OK. I do agree with @Matt_Payne about the saturation – it seems a bit heavy. And it may not be saturation so much as WB. Finding the optimal WB can bring out a lot of detail. Worth a quick look.

1 Like