Window of Aspens

Edit with suggestions:

I saw this scene at the edge of a pond in Colorado when on a short hike. I framed it hoping that the trunks of the aspens would give the image structure. I love the colors of aspens trees in the fall, but I do believe that they need something to give it some context and geometry. I also liked how the cool shadows pop against the warm tones in the leafs.

Specific Feedback Requested

The foreground goes out of focus ever so slightly and I wonder if it bothers anyone. I also am curious if there are any thoughts on how the composition works as an image as well. I was at the long end of my long lens here at 200 on my Fuji X-T2.

4 Likes

I like this quite a bit. I gave it a quick crop to a 4x5 for two reasons. 1. it removes the brown patch in the LRC and 2. it puts more emphasis on the top 1/2 of the image. Right now it is essentially a 50/50 split between in focus and out of focus. I think having less of the out of focus part makes it look a little better. You could also try to crop a tad from the left so you have 3 clear layers that are isolated. The small patch of yellow on the left among the trunks breaks that just a bit. Overall, I really like it though!

1 Like

Awesome colors here, Kyle. We’re getting ugly shades of dead and brown here in the Pacific Northwest. I think you managed the colors nicely. The comp is great too, though I do like @David_Wallace’s crop suggestion.

Hope to see more of your shots from here.

1 Like

It is a beautiful composition. I like the cropped version better.

1 Like

Ah, the cropped version looks fantastic. Well done.

1 Like

That colour combo looks great Kyle. I like the cropped version.

1 Like

I love the edit. So interesting the way you framed this. well done @Kyle_Kephart

1 Like

Love this one, Kyle. The diffuse light on the grey trunks is really the star of the show and for that reason as soon as I saw the picture my first thought was the same as @David_Wallace 's, a 4:5 crop and for similar reasons. Well seen and executed.

1 Like

Great composition. Prefer the cropped version.

1 Like