Asian Koel/Western Koel (Eudynamys scolopaceus)

Whenever get an opportunity, I used to capture the main subject in another frame like this. My concern here is that whether the tree branches will also be properly focused or what I did was perfect enough as I could not try with different aperture as the Koel was there only for few seconds during which I clicked couple of shots.

Specific Feedback Requested

Need critical comments on what I have posted.

Technical Details

Canon 7 D Mark II with 100-400 mm lens. Aperture = f/5.6, shutter speed 1/1000 and ISO 640.

Hi Thiraviyam, part of the fun of being on this site is seeing birds I probably wouldn’t see in my backyard, here in CT USA. This Asian Koel is a good example and I like the backward glance of this handsome bird you’ve captured here. As nature photographers we often have to “grab” what nature provides because the moment is often fleeting. I think you did well to get this guy in good focus between the near branches, which actually provide a nice frame of the subject. I doubt if a more wide open aperture would have made much difference in the visibility of any branches. Nicely seen and captured.

Hi Thiraviyam
In a perfect work, having a greater de-focus of the two branches would help. I am not sure how much a f4 would increase the de-focus of the branches. Thank you for sending us this Koel, a most interesting bird. I like the framing and eye contact.
Peter