Olive Backed Euphonia

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This beautiful little bird posed in a nice place on a rainy/overcast day in Costa Rica.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I do wish I had more DOF to hold the branch on the left side in sharp focus. Light was already tough and I was at f/4, 1/500 and ISO 2000. Could have pushed a bit more, but these little birds are only still for a few seconds. Still pretty happy with the image.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5D Mark IV, 500mm, Cropped to about 1/2 of the original frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Excellent detail in the bird, Keith. I like the color palette. All those greans scream rain forest.

Stunning… Love the wide set-up of this image, showing the habitat. Colors , techs, all spot on ! I understand your wish for a bit more DOF, however it’s not disturbing to me. Cheers, Hans

Hi Keith,
Love the beautiful bird and mossy perch. Background is really nice too. The out of focus part of the branch does not really bother me. The image is sharp where it needs to be. Nicely done.

Very pretty tropical bird. I really like the texture in the perch in the detail on the bird itself. Excellent color and light. Can’t do much better with a background like that.

Keith, this is a beautiful little bird with the right choice of designer colors for the perch. If that’s camouflage it also makes for a fine fashion statement. Terrific image as might be expected.