Olive-backed Euphonia

Male

Female

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These two were taken some time apart but both from the dining deck at Laguna del Lagarto on a rainy morning.

Specific Feedback

Any comments would be welcomed. I brought the perch for the female way down to the bottom to try to minimize it’s size relative to the bird. Is the foreground leaf on the male image too obtrusive?

Technical Details

Both taken with the Sony A1 and FE 200-600 with the 1.4 TC for the male.

Male: 840 mm, f/9, 1/400, iso 1600, cropped to 4567x3223, 10:57 a.m.

Female: 600 mm, f/6.3, 1/800, iso 1600, cropped to 3908x2912, 8:18 a.m.

Hi Dennis
I really like that you’ve got a pair here, similar yet different. I love the image of the male mostly because of the rain you caught. It looks so good and adds so much. The foreground leaf isn’t distracting to me at all, in fact it kind of frames the little guy nicely! Beauties!

Dennis, one of the cool things about visiting this site is seeing all the birds I’m not likely to see here, in southern New England. My first reaction was that the female was just as attractive as the male, which isn’t always the case. Enjoying the sharpness of both images and wonderful colors. Comp is very nice too, and rain adds some interest there. Leaf not an issue in the male image. Overall, great captures for both.

What a colorful pair. My eyes went straight to the eye of the bird, so I would say the foreground leaf is just a minor issue , a removal crop and a pano could work if it is a bother.

The comp looks good on the female a little tight though on the tail side. Liking the leaflets on the perch

Lovely pair of images Dennis with fine colors in each. Love the rain in the first image. You could try a crop in the male’s image to minimize or eliminate the foreground leaf if you wished.