At the waddensea on the isle ameland in the netherlands

What technical feedback would you like if any? I think an image is finisht when you feel good about it. And when you have tried all the possibilities to make it look good, when taking the image and in postprocessing. I want to know if I am right about this image.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? ANY

Any pertinent technical details: nikon D850, 24-70 2.8 lens at 70mm F9 , 1/400 iso 640

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Ben,

A few things I noticed:

• The image seems to flow pretty well from bottom left to upper right
  • The tree at bottom left is a distraction
  • I like the inclusion of people, helps build scale
  • The colors seem pretty good to me, nothing too wild to fix there

This shows wonderfully the transition from winter to spring. On the surface it appears to be a straightforward composition but the longer you look at it the more you realize how rich this composition is. So this has two stories to tell: the change in nature and that of people out for a walk. The right amount of sky is included. It’s not a dramatic scene but a feel good landscape. The colors work for me nicely. I would do something about that highlighted branch on the llc. Either drop the highlights or content-aware fill.

1 Like

Thank you Matt for your critique that helps me further on this photographic road. Hope to get more comments from you, Especially after visiting your website !

1 Like

Thank you again, Igor. For your useful comment on my image.

Ben, I like this image a lot it has a very painterly look to it. The strong use of color helps to reinforce that look. I like the predominate greens and blues being contrasted with small splashes of red. I agree with @Igor_Doncov that there is a lot more to appreciate in the image as you study it further. Very nice work.

Thank you Ed for your comment. A lot of what you point out to me just happens in my way of making images. Reading your comment is an easy way to learn and look for things like you call " splashes of red and about the greens and blues". I hope for more comments in the future from you. BTW great website you have. For me there also is a lot to learn for this somewhat older guy 71.
Thank you.

1 Like

Ben,

A most beautifully captured scene. The colors are wonderful - striking, but not overwhelming or too much. Love the diversity of the colors, vegetation and undulations of the landscape.

Agree with other comments that having the people in there works well. Just enough showing of the blues and tidal area (I’m betting this could prove fruitful as well as you hike closer…?)

Not too many nits or suggestions. I feel the inclusion of the sky is ok, but it borders on being cropped so tight that it’s a bit more of a distraction. I think including the sky works for many reasons, just think it’s pretty tight.

Agree about the bush/branches in the LLC; might be difficult cloning and I don’t think a crop will help (hate to lose any more of the blue) The only other suggestion would be to give you image a very close inspection for the details. There’s a bright, oof twig/weed/grass whatever along the left, bottom edge. Not a big deal, but something you should be sure and clean up if you’re going to print. On the same theme, there’s a darker spec along the top horizon near the center. Could be a structure in the distance or a dust bunny not sure. this is also a very minor nitpick. I know it’s really, really picky. My persona approach is, I would rather have folks comment on the artistic value, visual impressions, composition, etc., rather than dust bunnies, tilted horizons or errant sticks at the edge of the frame. HTH.

Beautiful landscape image.

Lon

1 Like

I agree with the points Matt opened with. You could panorama crop out the bottom, but dropping the luminosity/contrast of that lower left tree would probably work well and let you keep the picture as is.

1 Like