Atop the Ridge

There is a local park not too far from my place. I’ve explored a number of different areas but the one I spend the most time at is this ridge line. About 15 yards from the parking lot you look down over an open field onto all these trees. I’ve shot this area in nearly every season (hoping for a chance in the snow). On this day, as happens frequently, there was a light layer of mist that rolls in due to the river that runs behind these trees.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does it work? It is really chaotic for what I normally shoot but I felt maybe the yellow bush being so strong paired with the main focal point in the tree could hold it together.

Technical Details

2 Likes

David, the mist works very well here, muting the scene and making it somewhat abstract. The mix of late fall colors and your centering of that sycamore add well to the view.

Hi David - I really like this scene. I think you have more than enough to simplify the chaos, with the grasses, the pops of color, and the structure of the trees. I think this works well and do not have any suggestions for improvement. I hope you get some snow on this scene this winter!

Lovely muted colors and layers of texture. You’ve managed to simplify what could be a chaotic scene.

@Mark_Seaver thank you for the feedback! @Sarah_Marino thank you! My confidence is growing little by little in spotting and editing these images. I am hopeful for snow as well, fingers crossed! @Chris_Baird thank you so much!

1 Like

I’m a big fan of foggy forest photos and this is a nice one, David! The clarity is good despite the fog/mist and your exposure is excellent with very natural colors. Without knowing what is left of the frame in this scene, I think I would have framed it with the two large foreground trees slightly more to the right rather than centered which would also show more of the bright green brush. Actually I would probably shoot a number of shots with different composition and picked the one I like when I viewed them on the computer which is probably what you did :wink:.