August Sunrise In NE Oklahoma

I am in no way a landscape photographer, but this view from my deck always fills me with awe. I lightened it just a bit to bring out a little detail in the foreground trees, and accentuate the fog. Please tell me what I could do to make this image better. Thanks

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom @ 210mm, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 1000, Ev -0.5 step, Hand Held. Raw file processed in Canon DPP , finished in PSE 12.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nothing much to do to it it’s very beautiful. If it was possible to avoid the OOF tree on extreme left side then definitely better and that wee mast thing sticking up on the horizon does grab the eye a bit more than I would like, though personally I couldn’t bring myself to take it out cos it’s part of the scene. That’s a personal preference not one I would impose on anyone else.

1 Like

Thanks, Ian. Yes, I can get rid of that oof tree, and should have. Good suggestion. I think that mast is a cell phone tower and I actually did remove it in processing, but then thought the horizon looked a little bare - like there was nothing to draw the eye to it. So, I put it back in. Thanks for your thoughts!

Mighty pretty colors here Terry! The layers make the image sing, so I personally don’t think the cell towers add but rather detract from the main show which is the light, the layers, and the mist. It seems that zooming in a tiny bit more tightly may have allowed to remove the distraction of the tree on the left, and a bit of the ground on the lower image border. The mist in the very center has a bit of a color cast compared to the mist in other parts, so that is curious…I’d be tempted to harmonize the colors and make them more similar to again, allow the light/layers and mist do the talking. Great potential here!

1 Like

Thanks, Jim. Yes, I wish I had zoomed it just a bit more. This time of year I usually get several opportunities at this scene, and I’ll remember that for future shots. I’ll go back and work on the color as suggested, and see what I can do. I’m still learning the ins and outs of post processing. If I get something I think looks pleasing, I’ll repost. And, yes, I’ll remove the cell tower. Thanks, again for your comments and suggestions.

Man, do I wish I had a view like this from my house !!!

This image does have some wonderful mood and atmosphere from the fog, and the peach colored sky is an added bonus. Overall this is a very pleasing image. Here is another vote to remove the cell tower (and the other 3 cell towers on the distant left), and to remove the tree in the LLC. I agree with @Jim_McGovern that the strength of this image is it’s horizontal layers, and that vertical elements like the cell towers distract from the center of interest. I would also clone away the tiny bright patch in the LRC. These tweaks are all geared towards removing minor distractions.

1 Like

I am indeed blessed, Ed.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I am in the process of tweaking the image a bit, and will re-post when I think I have improved it. I really do appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Thanks, again!