Autumn impression

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This started as an ordinary shot of autumn leaves and tree branches.

Specific Feedback

Mostly I’m interested in overall reactions but specific comments would also be welcome. I’ve lost my objectivity about this one which is why I’m asking for critiques.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 100mm, f/8, 1/13th.

Don,

I love this! My first impression was, “another awesome post from Bonnie!” - so a huge compliment.

You know, the great thing and advantage with abstracts? No rules. So maybe you’ve lost sight… but the results are still impressive. I love this as is, including the somewhat dark presentation. I think this works beauitully. I don’t know what you’ve done, including whether or not this is a single frame, composite or whatever. Very cool.

No suggestions really, unless you want to continue experimenting with luminosity. color/sat/hue, but again I think this works beautifully as presented.

Lon

Agree with Lon. So much mystery to this image! Is it a single image, a multi exposure in the field, experimental montage in post? I have no idea but I do know the image has character and mood. The dark trunks help guide the eye around the frame like I’m on a road in a forest as the sun is setting. Well done!

Lon and Alfredo, thanks very much! I really was a little lost with this one.

This is the original image:

I selected the leaves and processed the leaves and the background separately. I also used some odd blend modes in PS. I wound up tinkering so much that at one point I went back to the original image and started over.

Any comparison with Bonnie’s work is indeed a huge compliment. I was a fan of her photography elsewhere before we came here.

2 Likes

Oooh, dark autumn - I love it! It has a mood I love; can’t quite put it into words, but it evokes dusk. A cold night is falling.

I’m happy with that reaction, Bonnie. :slight_smile:

Further… this is what the tree might look like at night, under nearby street lamp… at least that’s what I can imagine.

I think losing your objectivity paid off!

1 Like

Wow, what a difference from the original image! Kudos for having the vision to take it way beyond what is was. I like the mysteriousness of the dark representation. Brings out the graphic structure well, too. Good work!