Autumn in Gran Sasso National Park

On the slopes of the “Corno Piccolo” in the Gran Sasso National Park (Abruzzo, Italy), autumn colors have exploded. After an afternoon of looking for compositions, I found this spot. The humidity was really high, in times of high atmospheric pressure it is easy to find these weather conditions but after all it did not affect the shot that much. The sun had already set so I had the opportunity to photograph this scene with reflected light, without spot of light. I was struck by those 2 light trees that stood out against a darker background and framed by colorful trees and bushes. I chose a vertical composition to include the slopes of the “Corno Piccolo”, in my opinion it creates contrast in the composition and describes the context in which that group of trees is located, they look like a community.

What do you think about my compositional choice and post processing?
Suggests are really appreciated.
Thank you guys.

Massimo,

I think the juxtaposition with the mountain is clever, quite a contrast. But I think I would be interested in seeing a very intimate scene of that tree with a lot of trunk exposed in the middle. The contrast with its surrounding is quite stunning. As presented, a minor comment would be to clean up the small yellow in the far LLC.

1 Like

Nice shot. I also think there’s a shot here without the mountains.

1 Like

There is a lot of good in this image. If it were mine I would crop about half of the top off. My first reaction was here is an image cut in half. It feels like there are two different images and my eye did not know where to go or where to stop. I think the bottom half of the image, with the two white trees as a center of interest, would make a nice shot. Again just my openion.

1 Like

These look like wonderful conditions, with the juxtaposition of the snow and the peak autumn color. While I agree with the others comments about there being a great image in the bottom half of this scene (exclude the mountain) I am also fascinated by the contrast of the snow and foliage. If I were to maintain this composition as presented, I think it could benefit from more mid-tone contrast, and a darkening of the rocks in the mountain to make the snow stand out more. Something like this

1 Like

Love the two trees standing out in the scene. I can see merit in a tighter image but it would be a different mood and both would stand quite nicely on their own. I like @Ed_McGuirk 's rework, too.

Thank you for comments! Really appreciated

Beautiful image! I think Ed’s rework makes it a better photo. That being said, for me the major problem with “too much of the mountains” is that it is so light that it draws the eye away from the lower half. Perhaps just darkening the mountains and leaving as is would be a sufficient fix for this problem.

1 Like