Autumn in Southern Utah

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The last year I have been dealing with two medical problems, one of which limited my ability to walk very far. I’m finally on the mend. This walk in Zion along the Virgin River was the longest I have walked in a year and was only 1/.5 miles total, but being there was pure, utter joy, badly needed after a year of struggling!

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcome.

Technical Details

Canon 5d IV, 24-70 f 2/8 lens, 1/4 second, f/13
Processed in Photoshop, the typical saturation, contrast, exposure tweaks as well as liberal use of the healing brush to clean up too many random tree branches

1 Like

I just love this one, and the story to go along with it makes it even more special. I hope your health continues to trend in the right direction.

With the image, I thought of cropping out some of the left side to remove some of the more scrubby trees and hte small section of the river. I kept getting pulled there instead of the reflected light and warm colors in the trees. I also added some contrast (maybe over did it) but trying to play up the warm/cool contrast too.

Beautiful colors and structures - I like them very much!
But when I watch the image my view is wandering to the right and wants to know what is on the right side outside the edge. So maybe there is a better possibility to find one point of interest which keeps the view within the image, either by cutting it or by finding a slightly different perspective when photographing it.

Nice to see you posting Tony; I’m sorry to hear about the struggles! Hopefully the healing continues and you can keep at the photography.

This does a nice job of capturing the feel of the riparian west with the grand cliffs and flowing water. The yellow of fall is a nice addition.

Congrats on the EP!

Thanks for the comments @John_Williams , @David_Wallace, and @kerstin !

Tony,

Yeah, I’m way late on commenting here, but I wanted to not only comment on the image, but also to wish you well on your health and recovery. I hope to hear you continue to be on the mend and can continue enjoying getting out in nature - and photographing your exerience!

To the image, wonderful autumn scene from Zion. This has a nice balance of elements from the gentle flow of the river, the golden cottonwoods and of course the granduer of the canyon walls. I even like the island of stones parting the river.

Mostly just personal choice and preference, but I think this could be warmed (ever so slightly) and perhaps just removing some blue from the water? But very minor. I do think some selective burning of some areas in the upper right quadrant could help keep the eye in the frame. But really, this is quite lovely as presented.

So glad you were able to get out and enjoy the great outdoors!

Lon

I appreciate the joy you felt on this walk, Tony. I’ve experienced the same after bad mountain bike accidents that required surgery, and kept me away from doing the things I love for months at a time. I’m very happy to hear you’re on the mend!

I feel the joy you experienced is evident in this image. It’s quite beautiful. I do like David’s crop, and feel that a version with saturation levels somewhere between yours and his would be perfect.

Thanks for the comments @Bret_Edge and @Lon_Overacker !