autumn leaves in a puddle

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On this particular morning, nothing much was touching my photographic imagination until I found this puddle with autumn leaves artfully arranged by nature. There was a cheerfulness to the scene that I hoped to capture.

Specific Feedback

The image feels slightly off balance to me, perhaps because of the concentration of color on the left had side. But cropping in does not leave enough breathing room for the left side leaf. Is there another solution?

Technical Details

Single image
Nikon Z8 with Nikkor Z 100-400 mm at 175mm on tripod
1/10 sec; f/36; 1SO 1600; manual, pattern metering

DJ, I can see why you were attracted to this scene. It a nice mix of peaceful and inviting. The arch of the three main leaves works very well. I suggest burning-in the brights on the three main leaves. Getting more color there may help balance the strong colors in the left half of the frame.

DJ, I thought I recognized this image! I do think the composition is balanced and nice; I think @Mark_Seaver makes a good suggestion. I’m glad to see that you also are active on NPN!

DJ: I like the arrangement of the three leaves and the BG colors. Did you use a polarizer? It looks like the view into the water is cleaner than what I would expect. Nicely done. >=))>

Good idea. Thank you.

Thanks, Bill. Yes, I had a polarizer on the lens. I probably should have mentioned that in camera info!

I haven’t done much here but made a New Year resolution to post and participate more often!

1 Like