Pond matter

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Photographing life in puddles and streams is intriguing as it constantly changes. I love venturing out and about after it rains to see what I can discover.

Specific Feedback

Is the image too dark? I liked the contrast between living and dead matter even though the dead matter has more life in terms of colour! Does this work?

Technical Details

Nikon z 7
24-70mmm
1/80 exposure
F8
Focal length 70
ISO 100
Photoshop processing. Curves layer to add contrast.
Soft light blend mode to enhance orange tinge.
Spot healing to remove white spots.

A wonderful image that combines the rich color and detail of the brown leaves overlying the muted green color of the less distinct pond grass below. Very nicely done

Very lovely!!! You achieved a wonderful low key look with lovely detail well into the darks. The submerged leaves have nicely subdued detail and the fallen oak (and whatever else it is) leaves are dramatic. The composition is gorgeous and the colors so appropriate!

Quite intriguing with the various colors, shapes and stages of life. Doesn’t look too dark to me - the low light fits the mysterious mood. Not sure how much I like the very bright stands of stuff, but not sure you could eliminate them.

Wonderful image. This really needs a frame as much of it is fusing with the black background. I would try to tonally separate the background leaves from the black background. That may require that the oak leaves get a bit brighter as well. The white stem is pretty dominant as well.