Autumn Storm in the West Elk Mountains

Image: A panoramic rendition of a passing autumn storm in the West Elk Mountains of Colorado.

Description: This storm dropped a ton of snow on the high peaks, which made for a nice compliment to the amazing color in the aspen trees, scrub oak, and other foliage below. The dramatic clouds were a nice perk too!

Specific Feedback Requested: Not really seeking feedback since this is a challenge submission, but I’m always open to it!

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Several image stitch, ISO 100, 1/200s, f/13? (it was on an old Contax C/Y lens).

5 Likes

Beautiful image, Matt.

1 Like

Tell me you like fall colors without telling me you like fall colors😂

Nice Pano, especially how the dramatic clouds and fall foliage complement each other nicely

1 Like

Hahaha - yes - I am pretty hooked on them!

Hey Matt, that’s a beautiful image with awesome natural looking fall color and mountains with dramatic skies. Winning combination!

1 Like

Thanks buddy! Certainly one of my favorite days of fall photography here!

Great photo, Matt! I always enjoy a fall colors scene with a stormy sky above.

1 Like

Thank you Sarah! Glad to see you here! <3

1 Like

It’s always great to get stormy skies, dropping ton of snow at the higher elevations, during fall color shoots. What a great sky. I love the light in the clouds in the ULC. Just epic conditions. And who doesn’t like Fall colors??? Great shot Matt!

How incredible to be there during such amazing conditions. The dramatic sky, the snow-capped mountains, and the gorgeous trees to top it all off. Just a spectacular image.

1 Like

Thanks David! Yeah it is a pretty rare occurrence these days to get all of these elements to line up! Thanks for noticing!

A magnificent image! Sitting back and enjoying it very much :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Laura, I’m glad you enjoy it!

Matt, the glowing trees in the foreground lead well to that central snowy peak. The clouds are a great cap to the view.

Thank you Mark! I think a lot of folks wouldn’t believe these colors to be true, but they really are - the diffused light from the sun through the clouds really accentuated the wet leaves… and this was a particularly vibrant year!

Great image, Matt! The fall colors, snow- covered mountains tops and great clouds together with a great composition makes up a winning combination.

1 Like

The composition leads me right through the photo to the center mountains surrounded by menacing clouds. The contrast of the warm, golden trees and the cold, blue-grey sky is very dramatic. What a wonderful image!

1 Like

Wow, what a color riot!