Awakening

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image of the Yellowstone Canyon at sunrise brings back memories of an old friend. In 2019 I met my fellow NPN moderator Phil Hodgkins in Yellowstone. Chrissy and I were extending a trip we made to Rocky Mountain NP with one of our sons and four of our grandkids and Phil was moving from his home in South Carolina after his wife passed away and was on his way to Alaska to live with one of his sons. We were camping in Madison so had to get up and at 'em early to get to the canyon. I got this and a number of other keepers and Phil probably did too. He left the next day and I was looking forward to seeing what he came up with once he got settled. Several weeks passed and I had not heard anything from him. I heard from another NPN member who knew Phil’s son and learned that the very next day after we did this shoot Phil passed away in a hotel in Montana. Life, like good light, can be fleeting but I was blessed to know Phil and think of him often. >=))>

Specific Feedback

This is an HDR shot and I’m pretty pleased with the result. Any suggestions in that regard most welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8 @ 17mm
ISO 100, 1/125 @ f8, HDR

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
5 Likes

Bill, the colors here are terrific, a fine mix of cool and warm. The details in the canyon show up very well in the larger view. The fog is also a fine addition. It’s novel that the canyon is clear while the air at the top is misty…possibly warmth lingering in the canyon.

It’s a beautiful shot . My mind can’t quite sort out what I’m seeing but that’s not a bad thing. It keeps me engaged with the image. You should be pleased with the result.

Bill, I have to say after reading your posted comment on the image it has a stronger tie and or meaning on this scene. I do recall Phil and hearing about his wife’s passing and the strain of that as well as a relocation can be very hard no doubt. I wish he’d made it to Alaska as I know that state from top to bottom with my 2 years of travels up there.
The glow in this scene has a ethereal feeling for me hearing about your time with Phil in his last days enjoying the photo outing and his connection with you.

A touching story to accompany this wonderful image Bill. Cherish your memories with Phil. The light is quite lovely and the thin mist provides some great atmospherics in this scene. Very nicely done IMO.

Bill, Congrats on the EP selection with this wonderful scene. … :+1:

A wonderful scene, and a remarkable story. Good to recall that our future is always uncertain.
Great image and a natural looking HDR. I can imagine that you are very pleased with the result. Congrats on the EP.

I remember Phil, and your telling us of your meet-up. He was a nice fellow, always supportive and helpful, and a very fine photographer. I imagine he passed on peacefully, with memories of meeting you and of his images that day.
I know nothing about HDR - but this is an ethereal, serene image that soothes my soul. The definition in the trees and granite is contrasted brilliantly by the mist and hazy sun.
Congrats on a very cool EP!

Bill, I too remember Phil, and the fact that he passed the next day after your meet up. Thank you for sharing the image and the memories. I believe if I recall correctly that he was holding the position that I now hold as Macro Moderator. They were some big shoes to fill, and I am still trying to do that. Congratulations on EP. An image well worthy of it.

1 Like

Having stood at all the Canyon overlooks dozens of times, I can really feel myself in this image. Wonderful light and soft tones, just beautiful.