The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.
Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive
About This Image
I crossed the little creek at the bottom of my paddock early in the morning and perched myself ( and telephoto lens) in the middle of a scrubby clearing waiting for the wrens to appear. The air was cool and just dewy enough to slow the insects down. This little butterfly caught my attention. Not bejewelled like some I’ve seen, but nice enough. And, like @Huw_Thomas , just trying to catch a little insect, doing little insect things in the big world.
Glenys, a great moment to experience, a sleeping butterfly (I guess) with lovely matching surroundings. The antennae are surely bejewelled. Forgive my 2 suggestions. Clone out the oof reed on the right and change the ratio, perhaps to square, reducing the amount of space on the left. I’d say the first suggestion is much more important, as the negative space on the left is very much a matter of taste. What a super find!
I really enjoy the glistening dew on the antennae and slightly open wings, the vignetted monochromatic background frames the subject really nicely. I think if you can accomplish a crop to exclude the out of focus reed that would improve it
What a lovely quiet little scene you’ve captured here Glenys. And a wise use of negative space on the left side of the frame, which gives on a greater sense of how these small creatures exist in a big world. Well done.
Oh! Thank you @Ted_Forman ! I was beginning to think my artistic interpretation of “the space between” had been misread.
Thank you @Mike_Friel ! I realise there is a lot of negative space. I might have cropped differently but for the WC. I rather liked the OOF reed. Another attempt at artistic, rather than technical.
Thank you @andy5 and welcome! NPN is such a great place to be. Images are always wonderful and the contributors more so. I look forward to seeing your posts. Like @Mike_Friel you feel the image could be cropped differently. I’ll have a look at that.
Great shot, @Glenys_Passier ! If @Huw_Thomas wouldn’t have done it already - I’d have suggested exactly that. Small fragile insect in a big but cozy world.
Glenys: Oh this is marvelous! Terrific comp with the crossing stem and reed. The only thing that distracts me a tiny bit is the OOF area at the top of the reed, I can’t figure if that is motion blur or something else. I made it disappear for your consideration. The rendering of the seed head and the butterfly is simply brilliant. Most excellent.>=))>
What beautiful light and tones in this image, Glennie. I missed that this was part of the theme and had to take it into PS to play with my own crop ideas, so for what it’s worth:
Andy’s crop suggestion works. I like the results of your post processing and the artistic quality is ideal. A wonderful shot. Now where are those wrens?..Jim
@Mike_Friel ! No need to ignore your suggestion. It’s always welcomed and most seem to like the image cropped. Thankyou @Huw_Thomas ! Ah, yes. A little structural silence. Love the added space.
@horst , Thank you. @Bill_Fach Thank you for taking the time to play. The OOF grass stem is an unfurling leaf blade. There could be a bit of motion blur there as well. @Dennis_Plank , Thank you for taking the time. It’s really nice to have an image that can throw up more than one crop idea. I like your take on it for sure. Thank you @Jim_Zablotny . The wrens came. I’m sure they will make an appearance here in the future.
Glenys, this is a lovely look at this butterfly, where both it’s perch and the BF match beautifully with the background. I think your positioning in the frame is perfect. I would clone out the big stem, to make the view even more dreamy.