Azores Waterfall + Repost

Repost with suggested changes:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It’s been a while since you’ve heard from me. Sorry for being absent for so long. The last few months have been so stressful at work that I’ve hardly had time to do any photography in my everyday life.

But we spent the Easter vacation in the Azores. That’s when I got back to taking photos.

I particularly liked this waterfall on the island of São Miguel. I spent some time shooting this rock from different angles and at different shutter speeds. In the end, I once again liked this tight crop best.

Specific Feedback

Is there anything that I could improve in post-processing?

As always, every feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Sony A7 IV, FE 100-400mm, Polarizer
LR: Cropped very slightly, basic adjustments
PS: adding some contrast, dodge and burn

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:
1 Like

I can see why you like this waterfall. I like the processing and the SS is perfect.
However regarding Composition, I feel a vertical format would have been more appropriate. The left side to my eye is a little too dominant, dark and empty.
Maybe if you had moved a little more to the right and excluded the FG boulder. JMHO

1 Like

Hey @Jens_Ober good to see you back here! I know I’ve taken a bit of a break recently and really just worked through some “backlog” images. I’ve found that especially when times are stressful, thats when I need to get out with my camera!

In regards to the image, I think you have nailed the processing and the shutter speed as Michael described. I also think a vertical may have suited the scene a bit more. I personally love these little waterfall vignettes as they can be so much more expressive. I even see another little scene in the rocks on the left side which is why I’m assuming you shot it this way. That rock on the left just takes up so much weight. I wonder if darkening it down a little, especially on the top, may help mitigate some of its weight. You could also try desaturating it some to remove some of the warmth. Just a few ideas, good to see you back here!

1 Like

Excellent and very evocative image, Jens. I love the darkness of the photograph and how that is juxtaposed and accentuated by the white of the falling water. Your choice of shutter speed is spot on and, despite the overall darkness of the image, gives it an ethereal feel. I do agree with with @Michael_Lowe and @David_Wallace that the left side of the frame has a great deal of visual mass that upsets the balance between dark and light. That being said, a 5X7 crop might strengthen it.

1 Like

Jens,
My thoughts pretty much mirror what my brother @Michael_Lowe has already stated. I also like what @Kerry_Gordon has done with a crop as it balances the image a little better with some of the darkness removed from the left side. I can see why you were drawn to this lovely waterfall.

1 Like

@Michael_Lowe, @David_Wallace, @Kerry_Gordon, @Ed_Lowe
Thank you all for your feedback and your kind words.

I agree that the front boulder is a bit too prominent. So I tried to fix that in the reposted image.
I also applied the crop as suggested by @Kerry_Gordon.

Wonderful Jens, I agree with the comments above. @Kerry_Gordon’s crop really takes it over the top.

1 Like

Glad to see you back, Jens – I’ve missed your beautiful work! I’m commenting on this one after only having seen the newer vertical in the thumbnail. But I can see what attracted you to this! I might also think about a second version with an even tighter crop from the left and the top, to center the splash on the boulder – not necessarily to improve this one, but a second possibility. I live the SS and the ethereal ribbons of water!

1 Like

Hi John,
thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate that.

1 Like

Hi Diane,
thank you for your feedback and your kind words. I hope I’ll find the time to come back here more often from now on.

I like your idea of an even tighter crop. And I’m sure I have some tighter shots that focus on that particular area.