Azure-winged Magpies

At this time they gorge themselves on the Pyracanthus bush. Up to 7 at a time fill their crops with berries.

Specific Feedback Requested

I liked how these two showed off their colours and shape. Hand-held from open window. Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D 500 + Tamron 150-600 (@600mm) f10 1/640 ISO 400

Topaz Denoise. Levels, shadows and highlights in PS . 5% cropping from left and right sides.

Wow - the tails are amazing. Reminds me of boat-tailed grackles although those aren’t corvids. Nice color and synchronicity here. The light is harsh, but what can you do? Great that both are in focus.

We don’t get these this far south but we do get a short window migration of Cedar Waxwings that feed on the Pyracanthus and I had to look twice when I saw this image. Nice capture.

1 Like

Hi Mike
Really great color and nature photograph. Thank you for sending us this photograph.
Peter

@Kris_Smith @Chris_Calohan @peter Thanks for your comments - occasionally waxwings pass through, but never in the garden, as they arrive too late!

Hi Mike, I like this for sure. Great to get both birds sharp and both with berries in their mouths. F10 was a good choice. You handled the strong light terrifically IMO. Very nice behavioral image.

Excellent, Mike. I like the two slightly different poses and the action is very good. Exposure and focus look spot on. I’ve been meaning to look at planting a couple of these-maybe now’s the time.