B&W Florida Swamp

This was shot in the golden hour in a Florida swamp. I am completely in love with Florida Swamps, cypress trees and their “personalities”, and the mystery of the black waters that often surround them.

I was struck by the line of the fallen tree and how it led to the cypresses, as well as the detail and contours of the cypresses that was accentuated by the lighting.

I’ve not experimented much with black and white, but I thought that it helped simplify what is a rather busy scene.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I feel like this image is “finished” but I’m not 100% sure. Something is bothering me. Maybe. Sorry I can’t be more specific.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Your first impression? Does this image evoke feeling? What feeling? Does it strike you with impact?

Especially interested in hearing from those who are familiar with the southeastern US swamps if they feel this image captures their “essence”

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon T6i, kit 18-55 lens
Single exposure
ISO 100
18mm
1.6 seconds
Not sure that I had a polarizer on, but I think so
Basic panel LR adjustments and I added a bit of haze to the background.

Quick technical question re: this site,and photo uploads. I saved this from LR Mobile and posted from my phone. Does that impact image quality for the critique?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Visions.by.Dan.Mccarthy

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A pretty neat black and white photo and what a great leading line. Your black and white treatment works well with the trees in the background and creates a nice mood. My only thought would be that the light area in the middle right seems a bit confusing as to what I’m seeing and perhaps more contrast there would help. It also tends to draw the eye a bit.

Thanks Allen!

I think those reflections that are creating the bright spot might be what is feeling off to me. I’m going to go over that and perhaps lower the highlights.

With the light streaming through the trees and the standing water there to reflect it, it was a bit challenging to shoot. That bright spot certainly isn’t where I want the viewer focusing.

Thanks for the input.

Hey Dan,

This is an intriguing image The black and white gives an abstract quality. No nits from me

Dan,

I think this is fantastic! Perhaps one of the most unique cypress/swamp images I’ve seen posted on any version of NPN. Unique for two reasons. One, the fallen log. I can’t recall ever seeing anything but upright trees and knees. And second, the light - or more accurately the somewhat high-key processing. Very effective here. In fact, the bright area that Allen commented on does detract for me - but does enhance that high-key effect. I suppose you could experiment with toning down the brights, but I’m guessing the impact of the presentation would change as well.

I’m loving this.

Lon

@Lon_Overacker Thanks for the praise! I haven’t had time to sit back down in front of this yet and play with the bright spot, but I will soon. The fallen tree is definitely “why” I took this shot. And the high key…
I shoot to try and capture the feeling I had while in a spot and communicate that to my viewer. During this shot, I was essentially blinded by the sun - leaning this way and that way, trying to see the subject area as the sun was refracting off of my eyeglasses, sweat was dripping in my eyes, and the shafts of light that found their way through the spaces between trees seemed to deliberately seek out my eyes no matter where I moved. So yeah, although the phrase “high key” never crossed my mind as I worked at processing it, thats definitely a good description of what it was like to be there.

@Nathan_Klein Thanks for the feedback! I shot it with B&W as the plan, The color is “ok” but with far less impact.

Dan, I love this composition in the classic B&W look. The details are wonderful! My first thought was it needed more contrast, but as I studied it further I decided I really like the path you chose in processing this scene!

Nice work!

Thanks @Alan_Kreyger!

I tinkered with the contrast on and off, and arrived here. I feel it’s a good balance. There’s already a lot of natural contrast with the way the lighting was.

I tried lowering the brightness of the area to the right of the fallen tree.

I’m… unsure…

Opinions?

2 Likes

Repost looks great Dan. Still bright as you had envisioned, but slightly less bright. Nice work.

Re-post works for me. Either way, a very interesting photo. Has a somewhat dreamy, other-world feel to it.

Dan, the rework is a good improvement over the original post. To me what I find intriguing about this image are the repetition of the trees, their shapes are marvelous, and B&W was a great way to emphasize them. And I love how the fallen tree pulls your eye through those trees, this is a great composition. I think the rework could be improved from some stronger vignetting along the edges to focus more attention on the center of the image (especially along the top and left edge). This is subjective, but here is how I would tweak the rework, i think it draws more attention to the shapes of the trees.

The fallen tree (along with the BW, of course) really makes this image for me. It’s terrific. In many ways it recalls the great BW work of another Florida photographer, Clyde Butcher. And that’s about as good as the compliments can get!

I hesitate to say anything because I’m viewing on a laptop, but the succession of efforts to tone down the highlights adds up to an improvement for this screen.

@Ed_McGuirk Thanks for the input. I feel like darkening the edges like that changes the overall “feel” of the image too much. The brightness of the scene itself is a good part of what I was trying to convey. It definitely works the way you have edited it, but it’s just a different mood altogether. As you say, it’s always subjective. Thanks so much for taking the time. Your edit definitely offers a different outlook.

@Hank_Pennington Wow… High praise indeed. This shot is certainly influenced by my appreciation of the work of Clyde Butcher. In fact, having recently seen an exhibition of his work at a local museum is part of the reason I’ve been experimenting more with B&W. Thanks!

@Allen_Brooks “Dreamy” is a good way to describe something of the impression I’m trying to create. I think that’s why the overall brightness works for me. Thanks!

@Lon_Overacker Thanks again! I appreciate the feedback!

Beautiful capture, Dan. May I ask where this was captured? Looks like where I play a lot (northwest Florida) in The Forgotten Coast.

As for your rework, I think you may have taken it down a wee bit too much; tone the original down, yes, but still leave it brighter than the surrounding area.

Love the leading line and I think you’re 100% correct in choosing B&W. Love it.

@Bill_Chambers Thanks for the feedback!

This was shot in Marion County, Florida. We’re not known for our swamps, but if you venture into the plethora of forests, there’s almost always a depression forming a pond or lake, surrounded by cypress trees.

As for the edit, it’s presenting quite differently on my phone compared to my screen. I’ve ordered a test print, which I should have soon. That will be the real test. I’m eagerly waiting to hold it in my hand and see what I’ve got.