Mississippi Swamp Scene

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I returned Monday night from four days in the incredibly beautiful swamps of south Mississippi. I was floored by their beauty. I’m used to Florida swamps and wasn’t expecting such a big difference. I expected the water to be muddy instead of the dark, clear water that we have in FL, but the biggest surprise was the cypress trees. There were some HUGE cypress trees there, much larger than what I’m used to seeing in Florida. So much of Florida’s old growth cypress was cut long ago, and while we have some large trees remaining, it’s nothing like what I witnessed in MS. I didn’t take a lot of pics because it was a scouting trip, searching out locations for autumn, but I did end up taking a few.

Specific Feedback

Just brutally honest critique and suggestions for improvement.

Technical Details

Fuji GFX50s w/ 32-64 @ 54mm (43mm equivalent in 35mm)
.4 sec @ f/16
200 ISO
Circular polarizer
Color profiled with Colorchecker Passport at shooting
Tripod

2 Likes

I love the composition. You have 3 very nice groups of trees. The reflections add so much depth to the image. The colors seem natural and the detail is excellent. Very, very nice!

I think this is a love study of the swamp, Bill! You have three groups of trees that create interest here. The water reflection is lovely, and the light couldn’t be more perfect for this sort of image. You were careful to keep the break between water and trees out of the middle of the frame, a wise choice. Well done, IMO.

Brutally honest? Well – I LOVE IT!! My primordial kind of place. No nits. I can’t wait to see what you find in the fall!!!

@Bill_Lazar, @brenda_tharp, @Diane_Miller - thank you all for your kind words and comments! I truly appreciate it!

Yessir, Bill. This is exactly what the bayou looks like and visually feels like. These trees turn auburn in the fall. Definitely worth the trip. The lime green here is pristine and pure and render very nicely in infrared, too.

Compositionally, this is excellent. Good job splitting the frame 2/3 trees and 1/3 water. There are 3 tree groups: 2 small groups of trees at the left side of the frame and 1 more distinct group of 3 at the right side of the frame. Good balance and use of visual weight. Perfect light conditions.

You pretty much nailed this one, Bill.

Excellent submission.

1 Like