Back at the pond & RP

In the shade on a sunny day

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
iso 2000, 400 plus 1.4x, f4.5, 2000th, A7R4, 70% full frame

David:

I like the scene here very much. The leaves in the water add context for me and also break up the water pattern.

Something looks off in the processing though. You noted this was in the shade on a sunny day, but the overall look is so muted that it feels off.

I took this to PS, set a black point and that helped the most. I also desaturated some of the most saturated colors using a TK Sat 1 mask. Also just brought the overall vibrance of the image down as it felt too saturated after my black point adjustment. See what you think. I know this may not feel like a shaded image, but for me it feels better.

Hi David, lovely scene with the lily pads and the amazing wood duck. Nicely composed. I like Keith’s repost - really makes the image pop.

Keith, I really like what you did. Here is my original but I thought it was too saturated. My first post here looks a little flat in comparison. Of the three, I think yours has the best color balance.

1 Like

A lovely scene with that gorgeous water, David. I do like the lily leaves and you can’t beat Wood Ducks for subjects. I agree that the colors look a bit whacky. I think you ended up with muted colors and some kind of color cast that did bad things to the purples. Keith’s processing seems to have really helped.

A gorgeous capture of the duck, and Keith took it up a notch. The two OOF lily leaves in front of the duck are gorgeous in shape with lovely reflections, but my eye longs to see them sharp. I well understand the DOF limitations but I wonder if this is a case where a very quick manual focus change might have brought them in focus with the composition constant enough to allow a composite.

A really nice scene David. Not often I see one that works well with up turned lily pads but this one does. Nice pose on duck as well. Keith’s post does look better although Wood Duck might be over saturated some esp. purples .