Backlit Aspen and Sage

I captured this image on my recent trip through the eastern Sierra. It had snowed about an inch the night before making the landscape magical while the snow lasted. I did my best to come up with a clean, coherent composition of this early morning backlit scene. Appreciate any comments/suggestions.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Beautiful Dave! There is so much to love about this image. Of course the dusting of snow is literally the icing on the cake… the frosted look of the pines is quite nice. I must say the calmness, color and reflections in the lake above really adds another special element to this scene.

I got nothin’ - no nits or suggestions. Beautiful.

Lon

Real sweet image, Dave. No suggestions here, just enjoying it quite a bit.

Dave, this image is really nice, the light here is sweet and you took full advantage of it. I also like the interplay of colors here strong green and yellows, and of course the aqua water is magnificent. And as Lon said, the dust of snow adds a lot of life to this scene. My only suggestion for improvement would be to crop a little less tightly than you have here (especially in the upper left corner), but I suspect there are things just outside the frame edges that led to the crop as presented. A different type of image from what you normally, but you did a great job with it.

Those yellows really pop and the water shimmer is nice.
It does seem tight to me…

Thanks, Dan. Yeah, I agree on it being tight. I couldn’t go any wider and keep the edges clean.

Thanks a lot, Ed. Your right about the “tightness”. Outside of some aggressive cloning I was restricted on how wide i could go.

As many have said, the mix of colors here is really something special. One thing that bothers me, is the way the tree on the right side is cut off. It pulls my eye that direction. I know how it goes though, and I’m guessing what’s outside the Frame isn’t quite right.

Thanks for your comments, Dan. Yeah I was constrained around the edges so I had to frame tighter than Optimal.