Seasons Converge

Captured earlier this month shortly after the first significant snowfall of the season in the Sierra. Any and all thoughts welcome.

5DSr, Canon 70-200 f/4 IS L

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Gorgeous, Dave. The tones look great! I am wondering if you could increase the saturation in the blue sky just a bit? That’s minor. The overall processing looks spot on. This is a nice study of winter on the East Side.
-P

2 Likes

The seasonal contrast is excellent here, Dave, and quite surprising.

1 Like

Beautiful scene, expertly presented.

1 Like

Dave, this is a wonderful take from this area of the eastern sierras. The layers from FG to BG makes this work very well. The black tree trunks and branches provides an excellent structural threading throughout the colorful leaves…:sunglasses:
Only thought for change is eliminating the small area of blue sky. It is not a nit at all, just a thought for another look there…:thinking:

1 Like

This is a spectacular scene, Dave. The transition of the seasons is gorgeous as is the light and those swirling clouds add some additional drama to this lovely image.

1 Like

This is really nice, Dave. I really like how the clouds are surrounding the peaks as well as the contrast between the trees and mountains. I could also see darkening the blue a bit in the upper left, but that’s pretty minor. Another wonderful image from the east side.

1 Like

Dave, this is amazing! I really like the layers and the atmosphere in the mountains. I think only photographers would nitpick the blue sky but, on that note, I would agree with increasing the saturation or darkening it a bit.

1 Like

Dave, I agree with Preston on the tonality of the shot. You really have about 5 different layers with the scrub brush, trees, the hills between the trees and mountains, then the mountains and a hint of sky. Colors are spot on and not over bearing with gold/brown and appear to well balanced. I love how snow encapsulates the peaks and helps create the depth of the photo. Nicely composed!

1 Like

I would change the cast of the mountains and sky to make it cooler and I would desaturate the reds out of the sage brush below. I like the orange and yellow mix of the trees and the rolling hills.

1 Like

Beautiful scene Dave, and as usual your processing enhances the light you had to work with. I love the way you composed this to have the trees frame the mid-ground desert area on the right. My only nitpick is that I’m a little torn on the amount of sky above the mountain. It feels a bit tight and I’d like to see more breathing room there.

1 Like

Well captured, the layers are excellent. Ron

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful, Dave. I might be committing sacrilege, but how about cloning out the blue sky upper left? Just makes the mood different to my eye and I like it better, but YMMV. Either way, great image from the east side.

1 Like

Someone already said it, but I’ll repeat. This is gorgeous Dave! Initially my thought was I wanted to see more brush at the bottom, but when I realized the snow covered mountains are such a powerful presence, that the bottom isn’t all that important (although clearly great to have it included.) The cottonwoods are of course gorgeous as well. I love this as presented.

Lon

2 Likes

I love this image for the contrast it provides between the warmth of the foreground and the frigid conditions of the distant mountains. It is not something one would expect to see in one photograph so that makes it all the more special.

2 Likes

Killer light and conditions…wicked nice! Feels a bit too tight up top but overalll minor. Awesome.

aF