Backlit Harrier

I came upon a pair of Northern Harriers on a remote country road that were very intent on repeatedly perching along the fence tops along the edge of the road. Here’s a shot I managed of one of them landing while being backlit.

Specific Feedback Requested

I know this breaks the rules of the bird’s attitude to me however I really like how it describes its wing and tail feather’s patterns.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D500, Nikon 1.4 TC, Nikon 200-500 lens, hand held, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 700mm, ISO 1800, AI Clear, cropped to 2486 x 1777

Yes, the backlighting is exquisite, and the details of its feathers are beautiful. Congrats on catching this!

A great pose for backlighting. I like the two-toned bg, the barbed wire fence contrasts well with the white edges of the bird, and that kilt-like tail shows up superbly!

Nice job of getting those backlite feathers. A bit more of the head showing would have been great. I would take that tiny slice of sky off and perhaps warm the photo up just a bit. Well done. Hopefully you can find the harriers again.

Great wing and tail spread, Mark and I love the back light. To me,it looks like the focus locked on the fence on your side of the harrier making the bird just a touch soft.