Backlit Maple

Autumn 2020 photo project - taken 10/04/20 in Quabbin region Massachusetts

This image was taken at the same time and place as my prior post “Quabbin Morning”. This pond had several tree covered islands. And for this image, I faced east just after sunrise towards one of the islands to capture a backlit maple tree against mist rising off the pond. I cropped the bottom edge just above the waterline, to avoid some extraneous stuff floating in the pond. The dark background is a shaded hillside that comes right up to the far edge of the pond.

Specific Feedback Requested:

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200m f4 lens, + 1.4 extender at 280 mm, ISO 100, 1/40 sec at f16

3 Likes

I love the contrasts here Ed. The colour contrast between the fall foliage and the blue background, the texture contrast between the foliage and the fog and the luminosity contrast between the fog and the shadows. No nits from me.

Ed, I have no comments. I just love the way you are using all that great light.

Love the backlighting here, those leaves just glow. I particularly like the shapes of the leftmost tree and also the little stubby bush on the right.

Something about the evergreens coming in on the right bothers me, but I can’t figure out what. Maybe they’re too dark? I tried cropping them out, but in order to get something I liked, I had to crop out that stubby bush I mentioned before, which seems too extreme.

As I was writing this, I tried to lighten them up a bit. In my quick edit, I got some haloing around the trees, but with a more careful hand, I think this helped…at least to my eye.

@Nathan_Klein @Ben_van_der_Sande @Craig_Moreau
Thank your for your comments, i appreciate it.

Craig, thank you very much, your tweak to the evergreens makes a big difference, i will certainly incorporate this tweak in my final version of this image.