Backlit Pond

I visited this pond in New Hampshire late in the afternoon, prior to heading to another location for sunset. Shooting into the sun produced some wonderful back lighting on the autumn foliage.

While the light is nice, I’m a little concerned about the crop, and looking for input. The reflection of the spruce tree is partly cut off, does this cause a problem? Unfortunately, I was forced into this composition due to wind breaking up the reflection further below where I cut this off as presented.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, 100mm, ISO 100, 1/5 sec at f16

Rework reflecting suggested changes.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

Hi Ed,

I really like the surrealism of this image. It has a dream like mood with the soft light.

To be honest I didn’t notice the cut off spruce reflection until I read your comments. My only thoughts for improvement are to try boosting the dark darks. I think for this image slightly less contrast may enhance the mood. But it’s great as is as well.

Really nice image and the spruce doesn’t bother me at all. I might do a little dodging in the center area where it kinda looks like the sun was affecting the lens? In other words, even out the light more. It does lend a dreamy mood, but to my eye, it is a bit too bright. Otherwise, looks really good.

I love this kind of high key image. The backlit trees are beautiful. The reflection in my opinion is also perfect. Much preferred to a mirror reflection IMHO. the cut off tree doesn’t bother me. There is a weird looking area just right of center. lens flare ?, glare ?
:vulcan_salute:

Ed,

Glorious light and a grand, classic example of what back lighting can produce… wow, what breath-taking scene.

The comp works perfectly. The cut off reflection is not a concern because for me, the primary subject matter is NOT the reflection - it’s a wonderful inclusion and balance for the composition, but the main subject is the back lit trees and glorious light.

I agree with a couple of the comments, suggestions so far. That center area is a little bright, including the bright yellow patch near the top. I think mostly a result of the sun being very near the top of the frame, so possibly a little glare or something. Not a big deal, but apparent.

I also like Nathan’s thought of bringing up the deeper blacks - only very slightly to take the edge off the contrast. Clearly, this is a high contrast scene, but as Harley describes, I think this could be even more dreamy.

Lon

Sweet! Glorious back lighting for sure, Ed. The cut off tree does not bother me one iota as this image is all about the wonderful light and the colorful autumn foliage. I also like the fact that the reflection is not mirror like as it lends a impressionistic mood to the image. My only suggestion; and a very picky one at that; would be to tone down the yellow foliage just a touch in a couple of the trees in the middle of the hillside. Outstanding work.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Ed. The backlighting really creates a wonderful dreamy feel. I love the composition - the cutoff spruce is not an issue, IMO. I agree with the comments on experimenting with less contrast by raising the blacks a touch and pulling back a bit on the brightest yellow foliage that looks a little hot.

Very striking light and colour on a busy composition that is very well composed.

Love the ethereal glow of the back lit trees Ed. The cut off reflection does not bother me at all. I agree others about the brightness in the center of the frame.

@Lon_Overacker @Michael_Lowe @Ian_Cameron @Eva_McDermott @Ed_Lowe @Harley_Goldman @Dave_Dillemuth @Nathan_Klein thank you for your very helpful comments. I agree with the points made about the black point and the hot spot in the center, the collective wisdom of NPN comes through again. I have posted a rework to reflect my tweaks based on your suggestions. I have posted it here, and up above near the original for comparison.