Coffin Pond

This scene is from Coffin Pond in Franconia, NH. This is the same pond where I shot one of my earlier posts, but that prior image was taken late afternoon with back lighting on a sunny day. This image was taken at noon on an overcast day, and I think it conveys a softer mood that I prefer for this location. I have also been recently experimenting with adding subtle TK Orton effects thru lights masks for a soft glow, but then recovering some detail by adding a TK Clarity layer as well. I’m relatively happy with how that approach turned out for this image.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any critique or comments would be welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 144mm, ISO 200, 1/6 sec at f16

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
5 Likes

This is wonderful Ed. It’s the best of your recent series. The composition is spot on. It’s great when a tree grows to just the right height for a reflection shot that’s well balanced. I very much like these fall colors over the heavily saturated stuff. Can’t give much advice because I’m on a mobile phone (the laptop crapped out).

Another wonderful image, Ed. I’m with @Igor_Doncov in that I love more subtle fall colors, but I also love the intense colors too. I also like a small crop from top even though it makes itmore of a 50/50 image. Is this the pond you showed us last spring?
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Beautiful, Ed. Well composed and great color. I am enjoying most as presented. No nits here.

Ed, what can I say than only " what great colors and composition". And so well handled in PP. A very happy image !

Ed,
I do like this lighting, composition and how you handled this in post processing I’m not sure I prefer it to your previous post of the dramatic back lighting, really apples and oranges. This was the weekend that just kept giving!

I agree with the others, colors are spot on! This image screams fall, in a good way. For some reason the green tree on the middle left touching the side of the frame keeps pulling my eye there, but may be just me. Lovely image.

I am a big fan of this scene and I prefer Mike’s crop on this just because of a personal preference to that aspect ratio. This is very well done, Ed!

Gorgeous fall scene, Ed. The understated colors work well here and I love those horizontal ripples across the reflection on the pond. Either crop works for me, just a matter of personal preference. The overcast light along with your processing technique for this one allows all the details and textures to make a powerful impact even though the colors are subdued. Beautifully done.

Glorious fall color Ed. I like it just as it is.

@Ben_van_der_Sande @Harley_Goldman @Eva_McDermott @Igor_Doncov @andrew_hertel @Adhika_Lie @Ed_Lowe @Alan_Kreyger thank you all for your comments and input.

Mike, yes this is the pond that I showed you and Ed last spring. I prefer my original crop to your rework, for my personal taste i like having that orange layer above the yellow trees.

Alan, that’s the great thing about this pond, it’s one of those locations which can be good at any time of day.

Lovely image, Ed. Nicely composed and tastefully processed. I can’t see anyway to improve.

The mix of bright colors set off by the dark evergreens looks great, Ed. I do wish for more space on the right, with the evergreens not so centered.

Ed, I ditto all the above accolades. I too like the soft colors in this terrific intimate landscape.

This is beautiful indeed and I absolutely love it as is!

Love this one Ed. The mirrored reflection of course is wonderful, but it’s really the simplicity and isolation and compact nature of your comp that really makes this work for me.

I like Michael’s crop, if for anything removing the evergreens in the ULC. But that’s quite minor and your original works beautifully. No other suggestions.

Lon

I agree with you, particularly because the orange seems a trite darker.

@Dave_Dillemuth @Lon_Overacker @Tom_Nevesely @Larry_Greenbaum @Mark_Seaver thank you all for your very kind comments on this image. Mark, I agree with your point about the tree on the right. I cut the tree off to avoid including large ripples in the water just below the bottom edge of the frame. In hindsight I wish I had also done a horizontal of this scene that included all of the tree, but unfortunately I did not do this.