Backlit Tree, Vienna

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Walking through the largest park of Vienna, I spotted this backlit tree beneath a motorway bridge.
I quickly realized that there was some wonderful potential for an abstract monochrome shot.
I wanted to achieve the look of a japanese ink painting and I created one of my all time favorites.

Technical Details

Sony A7rII, Zeiss Batis 85mm
1/50s @ f/4
ISO 250
handheld

5 Likes

Holger, welcome to NPN! My goodness! I think you nailed the japanese ink painting with this beautiful image. The relationship of darker tones against the brighter ones in the background are excellent. The shape of the tree and in particular the patterns of the leaves and the way they are distributed across the frame help strengthen the image. Your monochrome edit is great too. I love the softness and the light of the background.

I noticed a small triangle shape in the bottom left corner which appears to be manmade. If you were so inclined, I would recommend cropping above that. Thanks for posting.

Thanks a lot for the cropping suggestion. You are absolutely right and it looks much cleaner.

1 Like

Yes, B/W was the way to go with this. The tones and textures are great. The repetition of the leaf pattern throughout the image as they come and go up and down the frame is a little like a visual hide and seek. But what stopped my scrolling was the great, black like running through this. Made me think of a lightning strike with the jagged lines. Nicely seen and composed.

I really like this Holger. It reminds me of a Japanese tapestry with the darker tones in FG and lighter tones behind giving it a sense of depth. The darker leaves form a natural vignette. As mentioned well seen and captured.

Great Tone and I love the lines in this image. !!!

Very cool! I love the patterns that give a rhythm to the complexity. And I love the tonal gradation that gives a simultaneous sense of distance and sense of abstraction.

Wow and wow! This is an amazing photo. I love how the leaves are Lacey and photographed so beautifully. I also like your cropped version much better as on the original my eye kept getting drawn into the lower left corner. I hope you have this framed on your wall somewhere in your home, its really gorgeous!