Badlands NP

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a sunset shot at the Badlands NP.

Specific Feedback

Does the second mountain on the right make this photo look lopsided?

Technical Details

38mm, 2 sec, F13, ISO 125

2 Likes

Scott, what a beautiful and soft sunset you captured. The sky colors are gorgeous.

To be honest with you, I had not really noticed it. My eyes were glued to the larger mountains. Did you try a version cropping that lone mountain off the frame?

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I have tried cropping it out, just wondering if I really needed to do that. Appreciate the comments!

Scott

I really like the ‘crown’ that’s in the background and feel it would have made a great image on its own with the sunset. I think the foreground that’s included takes away from it.

Thanks Igor. I have that shot you describe as well. With this composition, I was trying to include the dry riverbed to give the eye a place to go. Appreciate the feedback!

Scott

1 Like

I kind of agree with Igor but I do like that the landscape and the sky have a similar and pleasing colour palette.

Hi, Scott - The soft quality of the light and the pastel sky are lovely. Even before I read your question about the mountain on the right, my first reaction was to wish you’d panned the camera a little to the right to include more of it. Right at the edge of the frame is a bit distracting and it keeps drawing my eye away from the rest of this lovely scene.

Thanks Tom, most appreciated!

Thanks Bret. That’s kind of what I thought too, just wanted to see if others felt the same. Thanks again!

Scott

Here is the shot I was referring too, more straight on (taken on different day).

Scott, that second one really shines. Perfect comp (even with the hills centered, it works). And the clouds really add a nice touch. This one scores.

Thanks David, most appreciated!

I agree that the second shines. The foreground repeats the triangles that are in the back and therefore integrates better with it. There is more of a unity.

Thanks Igor!

I really like this second shot. You might be able to obtain a similar result from the original photo with a reworked crop, too. The sky and pastel colors are simply gorgeous in the first photo.

Many thanks!

1 Like

Very late to this one but I MUCH prefer the second image. In the first image I find the valley leading to the hills distracting and not adding anything to the image compositionally. It feels very off balance. A portrait crop eliminating the right mountain would probably work much better. Also, a crop from the bottom removing the bottom third, right about where the valley exits the frame on the left side, would be a great place to crop and also include the right mountain. Great conditions for these images though.

Thanks David, totally agree!

Scott

Another vote for the second image. The increased contrast and saturation work really well, as does the subtle vignette. The square crop and the the centered hills make this a definite keeper. I wouldn’t change anything in this particular composition. Excellent work,

Wow, thanks John! The jury has spoken and I am keeping the second image.

Thanks,
Scott