Bald Eagle catches trout

I got back today from a trip to the Ozark Mountains in Arkansas. I was watching an eagle nest across a river when I heard a big splash up river behind me. I turned to see this eagle lifting off the water with a trout. I like this shot as it shows the eagle looking at his catch with the fish’s face also visible and facing the bird.
Mostly cloudy conditions.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600mm C @562mm
ISO 800, f6.3, 1/1600s, hand held

@allensparks.wildlife
4 Likes

Hi Allen
Very nice catch of the Eagle and trout. The soft sun light really help to bring out the Eagle feather detail and the head turn makes the a winning photograph.
Peter

Wow! Fast reactions on your part! Excellent lighting and detail. Looks like the fish might be trying to negotiate the situation.

Excellent, Allen. I love the pose and you nailed the shot. Looks like the eagle is checking to make sure it’s legal size to keep.

This is a very nice action shot, Allen! The eagle inspecting its catch makes it particularly special. The exposure is excellent also, with good detail in the white feathers plus plenty of content in the dark wing feathers. Cloudy conditions are always better for Bald Eagle photos!

Allen, this is really a great capture for you and the eagle. I so love the way the eagle is looking at the fish, and the fish seems to be looking at the the eagle. It does look like maybe the fish is trying to negotiate a deal with the eagle. Excellent in every way. For me, it is a very emotive image.

1 Like

Wow! Amazing catch, Allen! The fish looks like he’s trying to figure out how to to get out of this situation and the eagle looks like he’s making sure he’s not going to get away! It creates quite a story and a lot of tension!

1 Like

As @Vanessa_Hill said, this tells a great story. I love seeing the fish head, eyes, and mouth. Simply an awesome image, sir.

Looks like some interesting communication between Eagle and fish !
Beautifully captured!