Bald eagle

It was a very windy, wet and cold day. I was hoping for a chance at some flight shots but rain and wind made it very hard. With the wind and high tide the marsh was flooded. This was a good opportunity for predator birds to pick off exposed voles. The Ravens and Eagles along with some gulls were doing most of the feeding. A few harriers hung around but most had left as well as the few Short-eared owls that showed up. The smaller birds get hassled out of what ever they might catch.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R5, 500mm + 1.4 Ext., f/5.6, 1/500, ISO 1600, Cropped to 47% of full size. LR and Tpoaz Denoise AI

2 Likes

Nice getting the raindrops, not easy, nice pose as well and well exposed.
Are you in BC?

An amazing shot, David. I love the perch he is on, but as @Dan_Kearl mentioned, getting those rain drops, that to me is really nice. Glad he stayed still enough for you to use a slow enough shutter speed to get the drops. Great image.

Yes. I live in Metro Vancouver just south of the Fraser River. This shot was facing pretty close to straight west. Across the marsh would be Straight of Georgia and Vancouver Island. The north side of marsh would be bordered by Canoe Pass channel of Fraser River. It is a pretty exposed area like a lot of marshes.

Hi David
That is a nice looking Eagle and the rain drops do add to the shot. Hope your were staying warm. Is the river open all year round?
Peter

Thanks Peter. I have seen photos of the main arms of the river this close to the coast iced over. I mover here in 1983 and can’t remember the main channels freezing over. If we get a week or two of freezing temps back channels and bays ice over. Inland of course the river freezes over and come break up we can get ice flows. Down at sea level some winters we can get snow and some winters we don’t.

This is a good look at this bald eagle in the rain. Nice pose. The raindrops are at a good angle and are elongated in a way that helps the composition. Pleasing color palette. Excellent detail on the plumage. Although I have spent a little time in Vancouver, I’ve never gone out looking for birds. I have spent a fair amount of time kayaking in the Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island. Hope to get back there someday.

An excellent image, David. The rain is very well portrayed and the perch, pose and background are all first rate.

Gorgeous detail on the bird and perch, well separated from the lovely BG. Raindrops take it over the top!

Wonderful image, love the colours and overall composition. The rain really adds to the image, as does the bird’s pose. Well done ! Cheers, Hans