Banded Pennant Dragonfly, male

This is one of my nemesis species - one I can rarely find at all much less perched. I was happy to see this male perched on the edge of a local pond.

Specific Feedback Requested

I wasn’t able to get perfectly parallel to this guy so the tail tip isn’t sharp. I think the wings are the highlight here though.
Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 300 f4L IS, 1.4x TC III, monopod
ISO 400, f14, 1/125s

Banded Pennant Dragonfly, male

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

Allen, what an excellent shot of this Dragonfly. Wonderful details. I love the slight diagonal of the perch and the DF, and that background is a wonderful compliment to him with it’s colors. Super shot.

Great detail. Never seen a dragonfly like this. Interesting patterns for sure. Yeah, the tail isn’t tack sharp in spots, but I’m guessing only a photographer doing an intense critique would even notice. At a common screen view, which is how I critique, I wouldn’t notice. Well done.

You’d see me say this a lot because of my interests :sunglasses:, but I’d bet this could be a great black and white.

Allen: Your DOF/POF choice works for me. Not sure I would have noticed the tail unless you mentioned it since the wings and head are the stars of the show. This is great light as well. I think you mastered your nemesis pretty well. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Allen, Nice image. Love the oof background, slightly angled perch, sharpness and details on the dragonfly and the intricate patterns on the wings. from the angle you are working, I wouldn’t expect the tail to be sharp, and wouldn’t have noticed it either.

Allen, you’ve got a good clean perch and excellent sharpness in the head, thorax and wings. The slight softness in the end of the tail will have little or no effect on most viewers. I’m especially intrigued by that red eye.