Banded Pennant

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 + 2.0 teleconverter (1/500 sec at f25, ISO 1400, fill flash set on TTL-BL -1.7 ev) Levels, Topaz DeNoise Ai, Shadows & Highlights, Vibrance +, rubber stamp for dust bunnies. Many photographers have a love-hate relationship with the 200-400 f4, but this is the ultimate weapon for going after dragonflies coupled with a teleconverter. I took a lot of shots and many were not great, but many came out very nice. This is a very uncommon dragonfly in Michigan. I have only observed it once before at the Duck Pond and this one was found one county over at a friend’s farm pond…Jim

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

jameszablotny

1 Like

Very good detail and clean background. The DOF is perfect at f25 IMO.

You might want to clean your sensor:)
1 Like

Sensor was just cleaned. Dry dusty conditions makes any lens changes hard on the sensor.

Jim, the details here are outstanding. Your dof is also quite striking, with so much detail in the wings.

1 Like

Oh Jim, the details in this guy is outstanding. The lighting is good on him, and that smooth background from using your long lens setup just makes this guy pop. Very nice.

1 Like

Jim: Great use of your long lens rig and a testament to good technique. Any kind of vibration even at fast shutter speeds can spoil the fine details. Wonderful find and a superb capture.>=))>

1 Like

Jim, just when I thought I saw it all you find this little DF. Very beautiful and I love the wings. The details and the background did very well. I actually use my 100-400 more on dragonflies than the macro. The Canon 100-400 ii is very light and fast auto focus, I also have the zoom when needed. Sometimes I am just too close and have to back it off. I also use the 1.4x extender but not happy I loose a stop with it. However, with subjects like this maybe that is ok. You nailed this one Jim

1 Like