Banshee

Description:

Several years ago I was prowling around a derelict boatyard in Crescent City, CA when I came across this. It was definitely one of those OMG moments! I knew I would have to do something dramatic with it but wasn’t sure what. Then a while later, while just scouting around town, I came across the side of an abandoned building with a texture of rust (I think) that looked like breaking waves! When I got home it was pretty easy to find a dramatic sky and a piece of ocean.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
OH YES!

Canon 5D2, 24-70 at 28, ISO 400, f/11, 1/750 sec. for the boat. Three other layers brought into PS for the waves, sky and ocean. The waves were done mostly with blending modes after some cloning to simplify the “BG”.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Wow! Stunning! You were in your creative zone for sure to see the pieces in the field that could be put together in post! This is really cool.

A great piece of art!

Wow this is creative, artistic, and quite stunning. I really did think those were waves until I read your post. Fantastic work, Diane.

Wow, what a great composite - very creative! Crescent City is great for old boats.

Diane, this ghost ship fighting the waves seems timeless. I keep looking for the ship to bounce up and down on the waves.

Wonderful and artisic. Glorious rusty waves hold the boat in just the right place. Seamless composites and very well processed!