Ghost Ship

Description:

Well, just a boat, I guess, but pretty ghostly. This was shot 8 years ago and not long after was too decayed to be photogenic.

Specific Feedback Requested:

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No

Canon 5D2, Canon 24-70 at 58, ISO 100, f/10, 1/180 sec, tripod. Reprocessed but not much change in the LR adjustments. To PS for some masked tonal adjustments and a B/W adjustment layer, which gave me a look I preferred over Nik SEP. Full frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Real nice look at this old iconic boat. The kind of high key look adds to the forlorn feel of the high and dry. Good entry.

Nice catch here, Diane. I like the B&W treatment. The grasses on the left almost look like waves crashing on the ship. Very cool perspective.

1 Like

Great capture, Diane. I used to go to Point Reyes all the time, this bring back so many memories. The black/white effect works so well with the decaying ship. Nicely done.

Diane, this is a wonderful old derelict fishing vessel. Thankfully you took the time & effort to add the scene to your collection 8 years ago now. This should make a neat wall hanger I’m sure of it… :+1:

This is a wonderful image. Your B&W artwork has worked a treat. I noticed the wave of grass on the left like David mentioned. The effect couldn’t be better.

Love this image Diane! I’m glad you caught it before it fell apart. Amazing to see it in what appears to be a sea of grass. Where is the water?:crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi Diane! Really neat black and white image, making it look even older! Like @David_Bostock and @Mark_Muller said the grasses do look like waves! On the right especially it looks like water, is it?Nice composition!

Thanks everyone! The sand bar on the right does look a bit like water – tracked up by numerous photographers. (But that’s the bad side…) @Mark_Muller, there is a narrow strip of water behind it – this is at the south end of Tomales Bay (famous for being created by the San Andreas Fault) which is maybe half a mile wide. It was towed to this spot years ago from up the bay by a guy who planned to restore it, but it proved too daunting. I don’t know if it was intentionally beached or the sand moved.

This old boat is very definitely aging! Very nice b&w rendition of this relic, Diane! Very nicely composed and excellent detail which the b&w treatment really brings out. Good choice for the challenge!

Diane, this looks great. The old boat stands out, but you’ve got lots of detail in the setting to help tell the story. Yes, the somewhat high key approach fits very well.

@Diane_Miller , OMG! Topaz Labs posted an ad on Facebook using this very same boat!

1 Like

Cool! It’s been photographed about a zillion times!

I really like how well you have captured the details of the boat, and the b&w rendering is just perfect. Out of the zillion images captured of this boat, yours must be up there at the top!

1 Like