Abandoned Ships

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

This is an infrared image. Do you like the sepia tone, or would you prefer B&W?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

These have got to be the most photographed boats on Scotland’s Isle of Mull. Every visiting photographer stops here. So I didn’t want to just do the normal kind of photo with my Sony a1. I pulled my older Sony a7 II out of my bag, as it was converted to infrared by Kolari Vision. It took many different views to get the image I liked with the clouds and distant foliage just right.

Technical Details

Sony a7 II converted to IR, Sony f/4 24-70mm lens @ 24mm. Manual exposure f/8 @1/400th. ISO 250.

This is a truly beautiful image. I love the fine detail in those ships. Despite the presence of these wrecks I don’t feel that much sadness in this scene. Perhaps it’s because the clouds are ‘happy clouds’. They give an optimistic sense to the image. So the sense I get is that something bad happened here a long time ago but now all is well and only a scar is left, a memory.

1 Like

I would prefer a black and white or a color image. The sepia tone through the water and sky detracts from the ships . The top cloud formation is a distraction in this image for me. Two ships and 2 cloud formations would be more appealing to me and might strike a better balance composition balance. A panorama format would provide better focus on the lovely detail in the rotting hulls and remove the bothersome cloud. Other than that this is a very solid image.

1 Like

The comp and content of this image is excellent! My initial impression was that I was taken back in time. However, the more I studied the photo, the more I started to notice it was an infrared and the trees gave it away. It almost looked like a composite. Agree with other posts that this could be an even better B&W. Nice work!

1 Like

This is really cool, Charles! :slight_smile:

I HAD to try to find the backstory of the three vessels being stranded but alas, no luck.
It’s probably safe to assume that a storm was the cause.
I used to be a general contractor in the commercial and industrial building industry, my company was called to respond to a disaster in Charleston, SC after Hurricane Hugo in 1989, my task was to bring as many drug stores as possible back online after the hurricane (especially the pharmacies), there were 21 Rite Aid drug stores originally but only 18 survived. Those were long, hard days making sure that people needing their medications were able get them, we even setup tents with generators so the elderly could get their meds and we gave away our generators to needy families after we were through with them, we even set them up for local residents and gave each of them several containers of gas, it was very satisfying to give away 15 generators to people that needed them!!!
BTW, I live in NC so the giveaway wasn’t meant for boosting business, it was just the right thing to do.

While I was there a gentleman offered to give me a brand new $750K Wooden Yacht for Free! Only problem was that I had to pay for having it removed from the marsh after the storm surge placed it there, there was really no realistic way the yacht could be recovered so they salvaged what they could, destroyed it in place and let mother nature finish it off. It wasn’t nearly as photogenic as these are!

Anyway, I digress! :slight_smile:

I really like the composition as it is presented and I like the infrared look! The details and the foliage coming out of the first boat is appealing.
I like the perspective, too!

I’m curious, did you have your camera converted to full spectrum IR or was it converted to a specific wave length?
I have a Sony a6000 I’m considering having converted to IR but I’m having trouble deciding whether to go with a specific wave length or have it converted to full spectrum IR.

Awesome image, Charles! :slight_smile: