Ship wreck

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In November I joined a photo tour in the Tromsö region situated in the northern part of Norway. When photographing this snow-covered ship wreck, for a few seconds the sunlight and the clouds come together to create this scene.

Specific Feedback

Any comments are welcome. Since this combination of light and clouds just lasted a few seconds I did not have the time to think about the composition that much - The house to the left is very close to the edge of the frame, does that bother you?

Technical Details

Olympus camera OM-D E-M1X with 12-40 mm F2.8 lens @ 26 mm (52 mm equiv.), ISO 200 (base ISO), f/9, 1/50

2 Likes

Great job taking advantage of the moment, Ola. The light and the p\breaks in the clouds are awesome. The house doesn’t bother me as my attention is fully focused on the wreck, the clouds and their reflection. It’s not obtrusive enough to demand much attention and the separation from the edge is adequate. For framing, you could pick one of the darker shades from the sky and add a wider than normal solid border around the image to give you a little more separation from the edge.

You got the perfect framing of the wreck and the clouds and both of their reflections! The house is very unobtrusive and doesn’t bother me at all. Very nice!!

Hello Ola,
This is the first time I’ve responded on the site. I think the composition is well-done. The reflection and the lit clouds frame the shipwreck perfect. The house on the left does not bother me at all. If I were to process it, I might slightly crop some of the dark clouds at the top of frame down and the right edge in just a small amount. I may even eliminate the two rocks in the water to the left of the shipwreck and process the image with a little more contrast between the shipwreck and the background clouds for separation. (Make the background just a little bit darker, but bring out the white cloud highlights). My thought is that it might add more focus and emphasis to the shipwreck / center of image and further draw your attention to it. That is what I might do. Again, the image is fantastic and the reflections complete the image. Well done.

1 Like

What. wonderful scene, Ola. Very nicely framed with the clouds and reflections. The house doesn’t bother me at all. Excellent image.

Cheers,
David

Framing is spot on. I love this image, the boat is so skeletal reminds me of animals ribcage

Sorry for a late response!

@Diane_Miller, @lorretta, @anthony, @Dennis_Plank and @David_Bostock thanks for your kind comments.

I conclude that the house seems to be OK. Dennis, great idea to add a wide frame to increase the separation to the edge.

@anthony , welcome to NPN and thanks for your great advise, I will try them out! I hope you will like it here as much as I do. I have learnt a lot since I joined as a beginner 3 years ago.

@Dennis_Plank , thanks for the EP, it is very much appreciated and encourage me to work harder to improve further.

Hi Ola :slight_smile:

What a magical moment with the brief showing of the sun, it’s as if the clouds opened up just long enough for you to get that shot! -)
I’m glad you decided to walk around to that spot so you could get a tight composition of that wreck and to me, the shop and house are welcome and desired elements to the scene!
Being able to see through the water in the FG is a nice bonus as well!

Very well composed in my view and like @anthony mentioned, you might consider cropping down from the top a tad and maybe even just bit from the bottom, maybe a 3:2 AR (just for reference). I feel it would strengthen an already strong image :slight_smile:

Very well done, Ola! :slight_smile:

@Merv thanks for your kind comments and advise. I will try a tighter crop

1 Like

Well done Ola; congratulations!

Thanks a lot, @John_Williams

1 Like