Barrow's Goldeneye-female

The lone bird swimming on a large lake in the high Cascades of Oregon. Harsh, noon light on a clear day, whites were blown out, able to recover some in LR.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/500 at f7.1, -2/3 EV; ISO 320

One of my favorite ducks. Well composed. Good job is harsh light.

1 Like

Hi Allen
As David said you did a good job with bad light. The framing, head turn, eye contact and small wave moving out from the duck are every nice.
Peter

1 Like

A nice pose! Wish I could see a larger version but it looks like good detail. Too bad about the light – it doesn’t take much to blow out highlights, but a very pleasant image in spite of it. I love the setting but think I"d crop about halfway from the top to the first brighter ripple. No need to try to put the head/eye on a point of thirds with no interest in the top area and the reflection pulling the bird down, visually.

1 Like

Very nice pose with the duck idling towards you, and well done with the light. I could also see this as a pano taking off the top.

1 Like

Hi Allen, nice catch in harsh light. I like the bird to the right of frame but could see a version cropping from the top as already mentioned. Love the yellow eye.

1 Like