Barrow's Goldeneye

Sacramento River, Ca
7D2, 500/F4+1.4, F10, 1/1600, ISO 800, -0.33 EC, tripod, ground blind. Largish crop. Thanks for any comments or suggestions, Dave

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

You got a very dynamic image at a nice low angle, David. I like the color palette and the centered subject goes well with the pose. the large version seems to have a bit of noise, likely from the crop.

Very cool, Dave. I love the head on landing pose. Great shot.

Nice timing on the shot David. I might tone the highlights on the upper breast a bit to offer a little more detail. Nice image.

Great subject, landing pose, and setting. You caught him at a perfect time hitting the water like that. Light is beautiful. My critiques match the others–some noise in the background, some hot whites on the chest. Really, the only way that the image could be improved is if you were closer to the bird. Seeing as you were already in a blind, though, there doesn’t seem like much you could’ve done. Tech-wise, I am not sure why you were shooting at F/10. I would have opened the aperture substantially and lowered my ISO. That way, you would have more dynamic range to help with the exposure, and the image could hold up to a larger crop. You would not have had any DoF issues by shooting at f/6.3, for instance (and, really, not at f/5.6, either).

Nice action here of a beautiful bird. Nits already mentioned. Wings look good. Thanks for posting this beauty.

Fun stuff, David! Great timing and head on angle. And the dead center framing works great. Reminds me of my water skiing when I was a kid :laughing:

Sweet! Great flapping pose, tack-sharp, excellent BG - and the sharp water drops make it all just about perfect.
Well-done!
Sandy

Great angle and stop action on the water. Nice detail and DOF. It’s not quite centered so I’d add a little back on the right.