Base of Blackwater Falls

There is this humongous rock; that I really wish was not there; that sits at the base of Blackwater Falls in WV. But, what are you going to do. This particular day the the boulder took on a character all of it’s own as the spray from the cascading water of the Blackwater River created all these wonderful ice formations. I do not know how much appeal this will have, but I thought I would see what thoughts you might have.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 80mm, f 20 @ 1/20 sec, ISO 100, MLU, cable release & tripod

I know what you mean about stuff getting in the way of our waterfall shots. Lol. With this one I would have chosen a longer shutter speed to contrast more effectively with the ice on the rock. With faster shutter speeds you get frozen water and frozen water if you know what I mean, and the sp on this one looks accidental to me. I might also try to find a composition with more black and dark tones. An effective monochrome image needs a lot of both (or at least that’s what works for me). Funny, I just put up a similar shot of slice of waterfall. So appealing!!

Ed, I actually think the rock is more interesting than the waterfall itself, the ice formations on it are pretty neat looking. I like the composition, it tells a story about how the rock is standing steadfast against the pummeling it is getting from the waterfall. I agree with @Kris_Smith that I wish there more darker tones in the water, to create a bit more definition in the water. Maybe try running LR/ACR dehaze, and masking it into only the water (and not the rock), that might add some more definition.

I really like this Ed. I agree with @Ed_McGuirk about the story telling aspect of the image. I like the SS chosen. I assume this is a crop? I guess I also feel there should be some darker tones in the image.