Battle of giants

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Any feedback is welcome!

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

This photo I took in one of the parks visited during my trip to Samburu. It was an unexpected moment of action and I’m glad I had the presence of mind to take my super tele :sweat_smile:

Solio Game Reserve, Kenya

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Gorgeous! The perfect moment, with the dust framing that eye so well! I love the framing, detail and toning!

A killer frame and to be able to capture the expression in the eye is so awesome !
You may increase some mid-tone contrast.

Love seeing the eye amidst all the dust. Well seen and executed!

Ingrid: what’s not to like about a stunning photo. The one eye in the clear while the scene is surrounded by the dust created by the battling animals is a visual treat. Richard

Hi, Ingrid - this is a gorgeous image. Great action and detail, and the sharp eye amidst the dust anchors the image.

Superb image! Lots of drama.
The composition is excellent since it is cropped to show only the area of head-to-head conflict.
The billows of dust are very effective in projecting the dynamism and intensity of the action.
Congratulations on getting such a superb image!

Late to the party but … All I can say, is incredible!! A masterpiece. There is so much going for this image I don’t know where to start. The “moment” is sublime in its ferocity, and the subdued colour palette marvellously supports it. The framing is perfect. But the eye!! Wow! Congratulations.

Stunning. I echo the comments of the others, especially the eye, but also love that the horn of the guy on the right is visible under the other rhino. Well deserved EP.