Dusty Descent

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

just looking for any reaction really - no expectations :slight_smile:

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

During the migration, more than two million grazers (including one and a half million wildebeest) pass through the Masai Mara in an annual trajectory in which they inevitably have to cross rivers. An exciting event, both for the animals and for the spectators. These wildebeest ran down the bank of the Mara River to begin their crossing.

Masai Mara, Kenya

Technical Details

Nikon D810 - 500mm f/4 @ f/8 - 250 ISO, 1/1250s - hardly any post processing

2 Likes

I really like this shot and the story it tells. The monochrome colour of a very dry desolate environment with the heavy dust and excrement suggests a large herd had passed before these two hungry and probably thirsty looking wildebeest. The sparse and dried out vegetation along with the visible ribs of the wildebeest tell of a tough existence and the downward slope would suggest hope of greener pasture. Love the leading line of the dust too. No critiques. Great photo.

Wow !!!, Ingrid. I love this image. It’s a fantastic and unusual angle to be catching their descent to the river. I so wish I’d taken this! You’ve really put me right in the thick of it with this shot. Thank you for sharing it with us. (And I’m heading over to your website next!)

I agree with the above positive remarks - my only other thought was to maybe leave a bit more space on the right for the second animal to “run into” as I think it may need it. But it’s an exciting action shot for sure.

And I agree with Mike - if you have a bit more space on the right side, I might include it.
Still envious of this shot, Ingrid!

Thanks all for your comments and appreciation!
@Michael_Thornton and @Mike_Friel - I was wondering if anyone would say that without me asking for that specific feedback :upside_down_face:
It is one thing that disturbs me a bit about this shot and I was wondering if nevertheless, this fault would go unnoticed - no chance of that here :wink:
Unfortunately there is not more space, this is the full frame, so the composition is what it is.

Quite different from the usual mass at the river’s edge photo. I like the energy and action here and the first thing that came into my head is rally car driving, something I’ve never done, but have been a spectator for a few times. The drivers come tear-assing around bends and unbelievable speeds and the dust! Yeah, I know this isn’t quite the same, but I was reminded of those races anyway.

W/regard to the space on the sides, you could accomplish this using Content-aware Fill and/or Generative fill in Photoshop should you want to do it.

Hi Kirsten, I love that comparison and yes, I see what you mean! :grinning:
Thanks for your suggestion re. the Photoshop solution. I’m afraid I’m still one of those lunatics that doesn’t use this type of solution. Not that I disapprove of it, it just doesn’t gel with my view on photography. Thanks so much for your help and the lovely description :sunflower:

Ingrid, I’m always still working on improving the edges of my composition in the viewfinder – in the heat of the moment, I have a lot of trouble seeing beyond my intended subject! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve cut my composition too close ( and I wouldn’t wanna :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:). But this is an excellent shot and I doubt that most non-photographers would even notice that right edge.

Nice as presented - I am assuming they are headed down for the Mara ?
I would consider that little extra space to the right too

Yep, me too Ingrid. I comfortable using AI to remove small distractions from my images – but somehow, for me, I don’t want to add things. Call me a dinosaur (which might be a compliment to me… if not to dinosaurs… :grinning: )