BC Forest Light

Forest photography is new to me so any feedback would be appreciated. I was actually on the way to shoot a waterfall here in BC and this patch of light caught my attention. I shot a few compositions but this one was my first comp and seems to be stronger - IE before I started to think about it too much.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I realise there is a short depth of field. I had to use a wide aperture to expose the scene. Maybe I shouldn’t be so much of an ISO snob.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Saturation, contrast, mood etc.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single frame - 35mm, 1/100, 4.5, ISO 640

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Nathan, I like the forest scene here with the ferns framing the bottom and the different greens and reds on the tree. The bright spot on the tree seems to have a bit of glare - I might try burning it down a bit.

Nathan, I really like the subject and the use of the ferns as a base for the scene. I agree with Allen regarding his suggestion on the bright spot. For me the out of focus ferns in the foreground grab my attention and I get stuck there a bit. Those ferns are great to include but I have a lot of images with them not cooperating for me.

I find myself attracted to sunlight areas in forests as well but usually avoid them because of the difficulty of conveying the feeling. I agree with the comments about burning in and the blurry ferns.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks @Alan_Kreyger and @Igor_Doncov

I think I’ll put this one down to a learning experience. I think softer light and high ISO to allow for a smaller aperture will be my method.

1 Like